Sea Monkey Timeline
Where do the Sea Monkeys fit into the LEGO universe? Are they aquazone? Are they space? This timeline will attempt to answer those questions and give new insight into the history (and future) of the Sea Monkeys.
Sea Monkeys have been observed on earth for centuries. They have been seen as mermaids and maybe even sirens, with their ghostly song actually a perception of their mental communication by humans. There is some question as to whether there have been instances where the sirens song was used intentionally to steer ships to their doom, but that is circumspect at this point.
Back to the Aquarium
- Humanities first encounter with Sea Monkeys may have been Atlantis, as the disappearance of the city into the sea has been unexplained. There is some reason to believe that the Sea Monkeys launched a large-scale attack on the city or even under the city to completely sink it. Again, these rumors are unsubstantiated and may be a product of war-time historical perspectives.
- 1800s The The famous Captain Nemos Nautilus encounters the Sea Monkeys. This encounter is documented by Prof. Arronax while he is on board. Extensive notes are written on the observations by the professor, as the crew of the Nautilus are greeted on friendly terms. (Note: At this point the name of Sea Monkey is not used, in fact Prof. Arronax suggests a name based on the growing field of taxonomy, but all the journals written by Arronax are lost with the sinking of the submarine). All information recorded is lost when the Nautilus is sunk in the vicinity of Vulcania, an uncharted ocean island, and Captain Nemos base of operations.
- 1900s The bulk of information concerning SMs is rumor and conjecture at this time.
- 1950s With the beginning of atomic testing, A-bombs are tested in the oceans, and the SMs are forced to take notice of the upper dwellers. One Sea Monkey settlement is destroyed in a test, and the Sea Monkeys begin to prepare for war. War is averted, though, through unknown means.
- 1984 A top secret deep sea mission disappears in the Marianas Trench with all hands of the 2 man sub lost. The final radio transmission is a panicked crewmember trying to describe an attacking creature, before it the signal is cut by a highpitched noise. The US Navy dispatches a rescue mission immediately, but finds nothing.
- 1987 A millionaire oceanographer, using information gathered over a decade of researching, discovers the wreck of the Nautilus. This oceanographer finds the journal of Arronax and decides to seek out the Sea Monkeys.
- 1988 The millionaire is called upon by the US Navy to find the wreck of the deep sea mission that disappeared two years before. With his research ship deployed, the millionaire goes in a one-man sub to the same location of the lost sub...and disappears. A rescue mission is sent, but no trace of the sub is found. The millionare is announced dead, and his business empire switches to new leadership. People everywhere speculate: What ever happenned to the Millionare Ogel?
- 1989 The deceasedmillionaires business declares bankruptcy. Investigations show that all the financial assets of the millionares companies were removed, leading to the new company leaders to be indicted and taken to prison.
- 1993 The first terrorist activities of Ogel are recognized.
- 2000 Ogel is revealed as an international terrorist to the public. No one quite understands how Ogel has such a large financial base. To combat this threat Alpha Team is established.
- 2002 The first recorded Sea Monkey attack of the modern era occurs with undersea Alpha Team ops. History records the incident as unsubstantiated aggression, though the true aggressors were not Sea Monkeys, but the Forsaken.
- 2003 Alpha Team initiates a dialogue with Sea Monkeys. Exchange of information reveals much of the aggression attributed to Sea Monkeys by humans was actually acts by the Forsaken.
- 2004 Cooperation between Alpha Team and the Sea Monkeys forces Ogel to abandon his undersea ambitions. Current intelligence indicates Ogel and his forces have established themselves in the artic.
- 2030 Sea Monkey gods enlighten their followers with the knowledge of how to create windows to other places/planets. In order to make a new start, extensive exploration of various ocean planets is undergone.
- 2040 After ten years of exploration and failed colonizing through windows, the planet Oceanica is found. Psychic contact with most (but not all) creatures of this ocean welcomes them to relocate from earth. The exodus occurs.
- Time thereafter is measured after the exodus from earth; AE = After Exodus
- 250 AE The Stingrays (inhabiting the darkest, deepest spots of Oceanica) declare war on Sea Monkeys and attempt to clean Oceanica.
- 560 AE Humans using faster than light technology colonize various planets. Humans ultimately colonize Oceanica (see Aquanauts). Initial contact is peaceful. Human aquanauts ultimately ally themselves with the Sea Monkeys. Forsaken ally themselves with the Stingrays.
- 600 AE Factions of humans turn against the Sea Monkeys and Aquanauts. They declare themselves independent and name themselves Aquasharks.
- 650 AE More humans arrive on Oceanica, this time in the form of corporations, intent on harvesting natural resources. Much of their mining and harvesting is harmful to the environment. Sea Monkeys name these corporate miners Aquaraiders.
- 700 AE Aquaraiders begin raiding sacred temples for crystals that can be used to fuel starships. Sea Monkeys are outraged and end all relations with humans. Sea Monkeys demand all humans leave Oceanica or they will be forced off. War ensues between humans and Sea Monkeys.