The rec.toys.lego Roll Call

Part 39

This document is hosted by LUGNET.

The following is a small part of the responses to the rec.toys.lego Roll Call. Refer to the Table of Contents or the Alphabetical Index for other parts of the Roll Call.

From: "Doug Watson" <doug@watsonfamily.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 15:12:31 -0500

Rec.Toys.Lego Roll Call/ De-lurking Form (Version 3.2)

Name:  Doug Watson
Gender:  Male
Year of Birth:  1986
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child: 12
Location:  Rochester, Michigan
E-mail Address: exarkun@theouterrim.com
LEGO/home page URL(s):
Marital Status:  Single
Children:  None
Occupation:  Student
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since: a week ago...

# of Sets in LEGO Collection: I don't keep track, I only play with them...
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: None
# of LEGO Pieces:  A LOT
# of LEGOfests Attended: None
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: None(unfortunatly)

First LEGO Set: A pirate ship
LEGO Dark Age: Never...
First LEGO set after the Dark Age: Always get legos for B-Day and X-mas
Favorite Theme(s): Ninja, Space, Star Wars,
Favorite Set(s):  Launch Pad, din't know the name...
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s):  Ninjas
Set/theme you would like to see: Olympics and snowboarding(winter sports)
Current LEGO Project: Might start a Ninja Dojo....

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:  I  dunno

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests:  Pokémon, Star Wars CCG,

From  Doug

From: privatewar@aol.com (PrivateWar)
Date: 1 Mar 1999 22:41:07 GMT

Name:  Steve Pleasants
Gender:  Male
Year of Birth:  1970
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child:  9
Location:  Virginia
E-mail Address:sdp@cstone.net
LEGO/home page URL(s):  http://members.aol.com/privatewar
Marital Status:  single
Children:  just me
Occupation:  computer analyst
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since:  weeks

# of Sets in LEGO Collection:  15
# of Unopened Sets in Collection:0
# of LEGO Pieces:  250
# of LEGOfests Attended:0
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited:0

First LEGO Set:fabuland circa 1973
LEGO Dark Age:1985 to 1992
First LEGO set after the Dark Age:  Sub-Orbital Commander
Favorite Theme(s):  Classic Space
Favorite Set(s):  Classic Space sets before 1000
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s):  Pre-movable arms mini-figs
Set/theme you would like to see: COPS
Current LEGO Project:  Death Star II

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:  Got 4 2x4 plates stuck in left nostril at age 9

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests:  computers, guitar, rubiks cube

From: dmusetti@aol.comrokenbok (DMusetti)
Date: 1 Mar 1999 23:26:21 GMT

Name:  Mark Musetti

Gender:  male

Year of Birth:  1974

Mental Age/Status of Inner Child:  about 14

Location:  Columbus, Ohio (Originally from Long Island)

E-mail Address:  dmusetti@aol.com

LEGO/home page URL(s):  not yet, but some friends on the newly forming
             Columbus group may help me with that.

Marital Status:  married 2 years

Children:  None (or else then they'd get to play with my legos)

Occupation:  graduate student (pharmaceutics)

On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since:  Dec. 1998

# of Sets in LEGO Collection:  150

# of Unopened Sets in Collection:  if i didn't want to open up sets I'd collect
      barbie dolls and precious moments.

# of LEGO Pieces:  about 40,000

# of LEGOfests Attended:  none yet.. someone take me!!

# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited:  nope just a lame exhibit at FAO Schwartz NYC

First LEGO Set:  fire truck from a happy meal at McDonalds 12 years ago.

Favorite Theme(s):  Town junkie all the way..particularly into high
rise/metropolis
                 construction.

Favorite Set(s):  airport shuttle (just got it via trade for xmas) and a couple
of
          buildings i've created myself.

Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s):  would love to see blonde female minifigs.
        Also like 45 degree slopes bricks in black/red.

Set/theme you would like to see: Metropolis sets... i have built several good

            prototypes... would like to see the old 7-12 basic building sets
back.

Current LEGO Project:  tore down my 120 sq. ft. city and brought it to ohio in
     hopes of reconstructing a high-rise 200 sq. ft. metropolisduring the next
year.

I am also re-starting a Columbus, Ohio lego group along with about 6 others..
**Any central Ohioans that i haven't written please respond if interested**
Meetings to be scheduled saturday afternoons starting this or next week
(1/8/99)

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:  My skyscrapers.... will have 8 or 9 in my new
city
including a 10 story mall with indoor monorail entrance on the 2nd floor
crossing
a street.  Already 3 completed.

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests:  bowling, snowstorm and hurricane tracking, italian
    cooking and big-brother mentoring..

HAPPY BUILDING!!!  Mark

mark musetti:     dmusetti@aol.com (disregard rokenbok spam block)

Look for my ultimate metropolis on my web page coming
this spring to a computer near you!!

From: "DJA" <dastolfo@NOSPAMglobalserve.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:24:31 -0500

Rec.Toys.Lego Roll Call/ De-lurking Form (Version 3.2)

Name:  Dave Astolfo
Gender:  M
Year of Birth: 1971
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child:  16
Location:  Burlington ON
E-mail Address:  dastolfo@globalserve.net
LEGO/home page URL(s):  http://www.globalserve.net/~dastolfo
Marital Status:  soon
Children:  none
Occupation:  Systems Analyst
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since:  Aug 98

# of Sets in LEGO Collection:  20
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: 0 - curiosity gets the better of me
always..
# of LEGO Pieces:  ~ 15000
# of LEGOfests Attended: 0
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: 0

First LEGO Set: Tractor
LEGO Dark Age: from 13 till 26
First LEGO set after the Dark Age:  Lego Submarine
Favorite Theme(s):  Technic
Favorite Set(s):  Mindstorms
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s):  gears
Set/theme you would like to see:  Have it - Robotics
Current LEGO Project:  Barcode Multiset combined with Mindstorms

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:  Sigma Communications (Lego Communications
company ants to use some of my pics for their website.  Will know for sure
in April 99

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests:
Mountain Biking

From: stacia@io.com.guacamole (The Avocado Avenger)
Date: 2 Mar 1999 02:47:12 GMT

Rec.Toys.Lego Roll Call/ De-lurking Form (Version 3.2)

Name:  Stacia
Gender:  female
Year of Birth: 1971
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child: 15
Location:  Manhattan, KS
E-mail Address: stacia@io.com
LEGO/home page URL(s):  http://www.io.com/~stacia/  (no lego on the page
yet)
Marital Status: yes
Children:  no
Occupation:  educator
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since: Feb 1999

# of Sets in LEGO Collection:  25
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: 0
# of LEGO Pieces:  no idea
# of LEGOfests Attended: 0
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: 0

First LEGO Set: space shuttle in a McDonald's Happy Meal
LEGO Dark Age: until about 18, then 21-26
First LEGO set after the Dark Age:  Samurai warrior minifig
Favorite Theme(s):  castle
Favorite Set(s):  Black Monarch's, Sea Serpent
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s):  maiden in Forestmen's crossing
Set/theme you would like to see: Barbie.  Just kidding.
Current LEGO Project:  sorting, sorting, sorting

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:  I gotta Forestmen's Crossing and Black
Monarch's castle

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests: usenet, music, old movies

   Stacia  *  The Avocado Avenger  *  Life is a tale told by an idiot;
     http://www.io.com/~stacia/    *      Full of sound and fury,
   Remove the guacamole to reply!  *        Signifying nothing.

From: Adam Yulish <bwappo@ee.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 22:06:01 -0500

Rec.Toys.Lego Roll Call/ De-lurking Form (Version 3.2)

Name: Adam Yulish
Gender: male
Year of Birth: '74
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child: 14
Location: Columbus, OH
E-mail Address: bwappo@ee.net
LEGO/home page URL(s): http://members.ee.net/~bwappo/lego
Marital Status: none
Children: none
Occupation: Computer Doctor/Techie/Support
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since: August '98

# of Sets in LEGO Collection: 40+
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: none
# of LEGO Pieces: 4000+
# of LEGOfests Attended: none
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: none

First LEGO Set: 114 Universal Building Set
LEGO Dark Age: early 80's to June 1998
First LEGO set after the Dark Age: I don't remember; I got flooded by
some old space
Favorite Theme(s): Space
Favorite Set(s): StarDefender "200"
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s): don't have a fav yet
Set/theme you would like to see: Please oh please make a lego AT-AT walker!
Current LEGO Project: Space station and research base; probably moved
back to September '99

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame: none yet.

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests: Writing, everything to do with computers,
reading, practical philosophy (it's not an oxymoron! :) , computer
games, Kenpo, electric bass, tarot, and lately--shooting my mouth off
about anything. Somehow I've gotten more opinionated.

From: Rob Butera <rob@butera.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 22:37:32 -0500

Rec.Toys.Lego Roll Call/ De-lurking Form (Version 3.2)

Name: Rob Butera
Gender: M
Year of Birth: 1968
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child: 23
Location: Rockville, MD USA
E-mail Address: rob@butera.org
LEGO/home page URL(s): http://www.butera.org/planetbrick/
Marital Status: M
Children: 1 awesome 5 month old daughter
Occupation: computational neuroscientist
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since: January 1995

# of Sets in LEGO Collection: ~130
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: 13
# of LEGO Pieces: ???
# of LEGOfests Attended: 0
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: just the silly truck that toured the US
in 1998

First LEGO Set: some Universal Set (400?)
LEGO Dark Age: 1983-1995
First LEGO set after the Dark Age: Enchanted Island 6278 (wedding gift!)
Favorite Theme(s): pre-90s town, classic 70s, train
Favorite Set(s): Moon Lander 565
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s): 2x4 brick
Set/theme you would like to see: decent town sets again!
Current LEGO Project: getting my daughter to appreciate Primo!

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame: Planet Brick -- build a globe!
http://www.butera.org/planetbrick/

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests: skating and biking, Linux, electronics,
Avigo

From: James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 05:21:46 GMT

Rec.Toys.Lego Roll Call/ De-lurking Form (Version 3.2)

Name: James Brown
Gender: Male
Year of Birth: 1972
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child: 12+
Location: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
E-mail Address: galliard@shades-of-night.com
LEGO/home page URL(s): http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/
Marital Status: Yup.
Children: Nope.
Occupation: Computer Hardware/Software support (aka: trained monkey)
On R.T.L Since: August 1998 (lurking)

# of Sets in LEGO Collection: 65 by instruction booklets, about 15 more
in buckets.  if service packs count - 200+
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: none
# of LEGO Pieces: 20,000+
# of LEGOfests Attended: none
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: 1 (Windsor), 2 by July '99(Carlsbad)

First LEGO Set: (...that I can remember) 928 Galaxy Explorer
LEGO Dark Age: ~1980-1998
First LEGO set after the Dark Age: Rain Dance Ridge ("hey neat, a stump!")
Favorite Theme(s): Castle far and away in the lead, Technic (Mindstorms)
Favorite Set(s): 5145!    6067 (sigh), 6080, Mindstorms
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s): basic bricks, arches, plates & tiles.
Set/theme you would like to see: Medieval Town, basic brick pack for dark grey!
Current LEGO project: Medieval MOC's to minifig scale pretty much
always applies

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame: <shrug> Nope.

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests: Live gaming, computer stuff, pool & snooker,
SCA, most music, curling up beside fireplaces with hot cider (& Lego) on
cold winter days.

From: "CHARLAND, SEBASTIEN" <sebastien.charland@bellsygma.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 08:24:52 -0500

Rec.Toys.Lego Roll Call/ De-lurking Form (Version 3.2)

Name: Sébastien Charland
Gender: Male
Year of Birth: may 27th, 1975
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child: around 9
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
E-mail Address: Sebastien@Charland.com
LEGO/home page URL(s): www.sebastien.charland.com/Lego (no there yet,
but will be soon)
Marital Status: Spoken for... Sorry girls.
Children: Not yet
Occupation: Computer scientist
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since: may 1998 (thanks Michel :-) )

# of Sets in LEGO Collection: ~10-15
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: 0
# of LEGO Pieces: ~10k
# of LEGOfests Attended: 1 downtown when I was around 7
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: none

First LEGO Set: I don't remmember, I was 1! And it wasn't those big
block either.

LEGO Dark Age: started aroung 14 until may 1998

First LEGO set after the Dark Age: Got the 5561 for xmas 1997, but the
first one that   really got me out was the 8459 and 5571

Favorite Theme(s): Technic and Team

Favorite Set(s): in order; 5571, 8840, 8459, 5542 (long storie), 8880
(the alternate model)

Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s): The green brick seperator!

Set/theme you would like to see: A 3-4 feet, 12 wheels, low-rider w/
pneumatic itch trailler for my 5571, a kenworth T-2000 w/ a realistic
Catepillar C-12 inline 6 engine and maybe a 6 speeds transmission, a
snow plow / sand distributor truck. They should all be at the same scale
as the 5571, ie same tire. I would also LOVE to build a 15mx15m replica
of middle heart based on Tolkien's works. Imagine: first 3 year, you buy
the land, afterward it gets populated by treebeard, tom bombadil,
Sauron, the Elfs king and subject, etc. Then some building like Elrond's
castel. Don't forget the boat and the Eldar. After 10 year and a lot of
$$ latter, you pretty much have middle heart. Then it's time to follow
Bilbo and Frodo in there adventure and build bag end, the Prancing Pony.
One set per chapter from "The Hobbit" and "Lord Of The Ring" trilogy. I
would be more than happy to put 150k over a 30 year period :-)

Current LEGO Project: Trying to build a 1m low-rider trailer w/
pneumatic to transport my 8459.

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame: I got enough wheels to build a 10 wheels
5571 and a 8 wheels trailer to go with it.

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests: Photography, cycling.

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 09:22:08 -0500
From: chz1+usenet@cornell.edu (Hank Zimmerman)

Rec.Toys.Lego Roll Call/ De-lurking Form (Version 3.2)

Name:  Hank Zimmerman (3/99 update)
Gender:  Male
Year of Birth: 1976
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child:  14
Location:  Louisville, KY
E-mail Address:  chz1@cornell.edu
LEGO/home page URL(s):  none
Marital Status:  dating same person for 2 1/2 years
Children:  just me
Occupation:  student/teacher
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since:  Since  Nov. 1995. I mostly just read/lurk anymore.

# of Sets in LEGO Collection:  150+
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: 3 (don't got the time!)
# of LEGO Pieces:  50,000+
# of LEGOfests Attended: 0
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: 0

First LEGO Set: A small red airplane (?)
LEGO Dark Age: Never had one!
First LEGO set after the Dark Age: n/a
Favorite Theme(s):  Technic, Model Team, Tech Play
Favorite Set(s):  SuperCar, Bungee Blaster
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s): Universal joint
Set/theme you would like to see: More bungees!
Current LEGO Project:  Trying to scrape some more money together to buy more.

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:

Never had a Dark Age. The only person that I know of to have run speed
tests with the Bungee Blaster (timed trials using different wheels and
combinations of weights). I have almost every single floating boat.

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests:  Camping, computers.

From: Patricia Schempp <pschemp@clemson.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:48:13 -0500

Name: Patricia Schempp
Gender: Female
Year of Birth: 1974
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child: depends on the day...
Location: Clemson, South Carolina
E-mail Address:  pschemp@clemson.edu
LEGO/home page URL(s):  Don't have one yet...but hope to soon.
Marital Status:  Single and loving it.
Children:  Never (haha!)
Occupation:  Graduate Student/Slave  (Textile Science)
On R.T.L Since:  January, 1999

# of Sets in LEGO Collection:  Twenty-five?
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: Three.
# of LEGO Pieces:  Five Thousand? I never have tried to count pieces...too lazy.

# of LEGOfests Attended:  None yet...
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited:  None yet...

First LEGO Set:  Homemaker Family Room
LEGO Dark Age:  ages 15-23
First LEGO set after the Dark Age: City Folks...I wanted the little kitty...
Favorite Theme(s): Trains, Pirates, Wild West, Adventurers, Castle
Favorite Set(s):  #6280 Armada Flagship
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s):  My 1970's big head people with interchangable
hair!
Set/theme you would like to see:  All clear ice palace...
Current LEGO Project:  Thinking of a LEGO project....

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:  When I was 6, I convinced my neighbor to
to swallow a red 2x2 brick!  His mom was really upset with me.
Other (Non-LEGO) Interests:  My 2 cats,  keeping the cats out of Legoland,
reading, guitar, caves, art stuff.

From: Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 11:05:50 -0500

Name:  Gary Istok
Gender:  Male
Year of Birth:  1953
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child:  17
Location:  Suburb of Detroit, Michigan USA
E-mail Address:  gistok@umich.edu
LEGO/home page URL(s): http://my.voyager.net/lar/gistok.html
Marital Status:  Single
Children: 6 neices and nephews and the kids of all my friends who are
amazed with my LEGO.
Occupation:  Computer Consultant for University of Michigan
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since:  July 1998

# of Sets in LEGO Collection:  2400
# of Unopened Sets in Collection:  15
# of LEGO Pieces:  400,000-500,000 (who really knows?)
# of LEGOfests Attended:  0
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited:  0

First LEGO Set:  (#700/3 - Basic Set in 1960 from Germany).
LEGO Dark Age:  1967-79.
First LEGO set after the Dark Age: (2) 1958-61 German LEGO Dealer
Windows & Doors individual parts boxes found near Coburg Germany
(where I was born) in 1979.
Favorite Theme(s):  TOWN!!!
Favorite Set(s): Town Plan #725 (1963), Junior Constructor #717
(1963), Thatcher Perkins Locomotive #396 (1975), London Bus #760
(1975).  Set/theme you would like to see: Service Packs, a better
assortment (in 1963 there were 138 different, today about 20).

Current LEGO Project(s): Finishing my new Gothic Cathedral, working on
2 1920's Art Deco Movie Palaces, building an Art Deco office building
with green and orange brick accents.

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:
1) In 1985 I was in Detroit Area local newspaper The Grosse Pointe
Advertiser, for a LEGO display I did in a toy store called Mom's Toy
Attic.
2) In 1986 I was on TV in USA, Canada, Germany, Austria for a TV short
on LEGO (it's not just for kids!).
3) In 1987 Henry Wiencek, author of THE WORLD OF LEGO TOYS,
interviewed me for his book (see page 30).
4) In 1989 I wrote Peter Eio, a letter about their Bulk Sales Policy
(or lack of it).  Mr. Eio wrote back saying it would be investigated,
but the policy has not yet been reinstated.
5) In November 1998, my site was chosen "Cool LEGO Website Of The Week".
6) Somewhat knowledgeable about LEGO's early days (1958-1976) and the
evolution of the early bricks and other elements.
7) Possibly have the largest private collection of classic windows and
doors (over 4000).

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests:  Historic preservation, do guided tours of Downtown
Detroit's fabulous old Movie Palaces, love to travel to Europe, collect coins,
large architectural book and print collection, great fan of architecture.

Favorite LEGO quote:  "In the beginning ... there was TOWN" - Gary Istok.
Favorite quote:  "Architecture - the legacy our civilization will leave to the
civilizations of the future" - Frank Lloyd Wright.

From: ffilz@mindspring.com (Frank Filz)
Date: 3 Mar 1999 03:37:35 GMT

Name: Frank Filz
Gender: Male
Year of Birth: 1963
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child:
Location: Raleigh North  Carolina
E-mail Address: ffilz@mindspring.com
LEGO/home page URL(s): ffilz@aol.com (no LEGO - YET)
Marital Status: single
Children: none
Occupation: Software Engineer
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since: a few days (March 1999)

# of Sets in LEGO Collection: 8
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: none
# of LEGO Pieces: about 2000
# of LEGOfests Attended: none
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: none

First LEGO Set: ? (we were introduced to LEGO by a German coleague
of my father's who came to the US for a year or so with his family -
when they went back to Germany, they left us their LEGO)
LEGO Dark Age: teens to 36
First LEGO set after the Dark Age: 9719 - Mindstorms Robotics
Invention System
Favorite Theme(s): not sure yet
Favorite Set(s): not sure yet
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s): RCX Brick
Set/theme you would like to see: Advanced Robotics Invention System
with new more powerfull brick and a larger variety of sensorts/
Current LEGO Project: have fun

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame: none

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests:

Computers (almost all aspects), Model Railroading, Role Playing
Games, Music, many others

From: Veritech1A@webtv.net (Rod Stuberg)
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:10:13 -0800 (PST)

Name: Rod Stuberg

Gender: Male

Year of Birth: 1977

Mental Age/Status of Inner Child: in Id stage

Location: Bellingham, WA

E-mail Address: Veritech1A@webtv.net

LEGO/home page URL(s): coming soon

Marital Status: Single

Occupation: Student Programmer

On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since: March 1999

# of Sets in LEGO Collection: lost count, but most are Castle, Pirate,
or Ninja series

# of Unopened Sets in Collection: 0

# of LEGO Pieces: bricks: unknown, Lego Warriors: about 40

# of LEGOfests Attended: none

# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: none

First LEGO Set: the Castle series peasant wagon (I forot the name)

LEGO Dark Age: 1995-1998

First LEGO set after the Dark Age: Samurai Stronghold

Favorite Theme(s): Castle, Pirate, Ninja

Favorite Set(s): Dark Dragon's Den

Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s): Castle Falcon-Crests (not to be
confused with the sow of the same name)

Set/theme you would like to see: Bring back Castle!

Current LEGO Project: need to buy one

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame: Invented a combat system for them

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests: RPGs, anime

Visit Rod's World:
http://members.theglobe.com/saga_asellus/rodworld.html

From: "Jonathan Van Matre" <jvanmatr@io.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:05:12 -0600

Rec.Toys.Lego Roll Call/ De-lurking Form (Version 3.2)

Name:  Jonathan Van Matre
Gender:  Male
Year of Birth:  1973
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child:  Inner child well-fed, well-cared for, and
well-supplied with new diversions.  :)
Location:  Austin, TX
E-mail Address:  jvanmatr@io.com
LEGO/home page URL(s):  none at present...too busy building Lego to build a
webpage
Marital Status:  Single
Children:  none
Occupation:  Computer guru-of-all-trades
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since:  About a week ago (2-27-99)

# of Sets in LEGO Collection:  7
# of Unopened Sets in Collection:  0
# of LEGO Pieces:  about 3800
# of LEGOfests Attended: 0
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: 0

First LEGO Set:  Can't remember exactly, but I recall it had a red 16x16
baseplate (or baseBRICK, actually--it was brick height).  It had some of the
little red cellophane windows, and a couple of Esso / Esso Service 1xN
signs.  Also, the red wheels with grey tires that plugged into the white
brick, and a lot of basic bricks.  Some kind of 60's/early 70's service
station set maybe, or else just a grab bag miscellany inherited from a
previous owner.  Now that I'm thinking about it, this question is gonna nag
me....guess I'll pester the parents for clues.
LEGO Dark Age:  1981ish to late 1998, when I first laid eyes on the
Mindstorms RIS
First LEGO set after the Dark Age:  Mindstorms RIS.   First non-Mindstorms:
Technic Turbo Command.  First Lego System: 641-piece Freestyle Bucket.
Never had many theme sets as a kid, and they were always small, so Freestyle
is definitely what's in my blood.
Favorite Theme(s):  Isn't it sad?  Just rediscovered Lego and I think my
favorite theme is the discontinued Pirates.  :(  But soon Star Wars will be
out to fill the void.
Favorite Set(s):  Love that Mindstorms.  Drool drool drool.
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s):  Tempted to say Mindstorms RCX, but to
avoid being a one-trick pony, I'll go with arches.  Any excuse to use an
arch is fine by me.  Minifigs:  The monkey from Time Cruisers was cool,
despite not being able to remove his head or legs.
Set/theme you would like to see: What I would really *LOVE* is to see
*themed* Freestyle sets.  Especially since themes come and go pretty quickly
these days, I think it would be great if, for example, they made a big tub
of freestyle bricks and plates matching the color schemes of the various
themes.  So, when they phase out your favorite theme and you're looking at
all those preformed pieces wondering "What do I do now?", you have a big tub
of imaginative opportunity waiting to be taken advantage of.
Current LEGO Project:  Assorted proof-of-concept stuff with the Mindstorms,
in preparation for the masterwork taking shape in my head.
Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:  Not famous yet....but I'll get there.  :)  I'm
going out there a lego maniac, and coming back a star!  ;)
Other (Non-LEGO) Interests:  Music (acoustic/electric cellist), writing,
swing dancing, film, avoiding the computer when not at work (except to
program the RCX).

From: blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss)
Date: 4 Mar 1999 23:38:33 GMT

Rec.Toys.Lego Roll Call/ De-lurking Form (Version 3.2)

Name:            Steve Bliss
Gender:          M
Year of Birth:   1965
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child:  10/quiet and alert
Location:        Lowell, MI, USA, North America, Earth
E-mail Address:  blisses@worldnet.att.net
LEGO/home page URL(s):  home.att.net/~blisses/index.html
Marital Status:  Married
Children:        2 boys
Occupation:      Software developer
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since:  late 1995

# of Sets in LEGO Collection:     100+
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: 0
# of LEGO Pieces:                 more than some, less than others
# of LEGOfests Attended:          0
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited:    no parks, but I went through LIC@MOA

First LEGO Set: can't remember
LEGO Dark Age: never had lego as a kid.  Started as an adult around 94
First LEGO set after the Dark Age:  DUPLO bucket
Favorite Theme(s):                  Divers, currently.
Favorite Set(s):                    Explorien Starship
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s):    1x2 plate.  In white or black.
Set/theme you would like to see:    Theme buckets.
                                    Return to Universal Building Sets
Current LEGO Project:               Improving LDraw Add-On;
                                    writing parts for L-CAD updates

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:  Grand Prize Winner in 1998 LEGO
Christmas Challenge, the lighthouse advent contest on www.lego.com.
Won five sets, all very cool. :)

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests:  Family, Camp Fire Boys and Girls, Odyssey
of the Mind.

From: manjingo@aol.com (Manjingo)
Date: 6 Mar 1999 21:13:24 GMT

Rec.Toys.Lego Roll Call/ De-lurking Form (Version 3.2)

Name:  Jay Jacinto
Gender:  Male
Year of Birth: 8/5/79
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child: 13
Location:  Riverside, CA
E-mail Address: RoboTrekk@aol.com
LEGO/home page URL(s):  Trying to work on one
Marital Status:  Single
Children:  2 Dogs
Occupation:  Tired Physics Major(Junior)
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since:  Mid 1998

# of Sets in LEGO Collection:  Probably a hundred sets more than  ships, from
the seventh fleet, that were destroyed by the dominion.
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: 0
# of LEGO Pieces:  5,000-10,000
# of LEGOfests Attended: 0
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: 0

First LEGO Set:  I think it was a little red fire truck, sorry no numbers.  I
later turned it into Captain Indigo's car.
LEGO Dark Age: In 1991 I had a period when lego was not part of my life
First LEGO set after the Dark Age:  A mail order lego set I order from the back
of a fruit loops box.
Favorite Theme(s):  space
Favorite Set(s):  8680
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s):  Any Ice-Planet Torso
Set/theme you would like to see: Temporal Enforcement Agency:  The New Breed of
Time Travellers. (Sets designed in space like manner)
Current LEGO Project: Making L-Draw instructions for most of MOC's.

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:  I wish I had one

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests:  HP Calculators, Dave Matthews Band, studying
Physics, oh and Star Trek.

From: "BOB!! Williams" <ender@pinn.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 18:48:13 -0500

Rec.Toys.Lego Roll Call/ De-lurking Form (Version 3.2)

Name:  BOB!! Williams
Gender: Male
Year of Birth:  1967
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child:  12
Location:  Virginia Beach, VA
E-mail Address:  ender@pinn.net
LEGO/home page URL(s):  http://www.pinn.net/~ender/piratepage.html
Marital Status:  Single
Children:  I support the LEGO habits of 3 nephews and 1 niece
Occupation:  Naval Intelligence Officer
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since:

# of Sets in LEGO Collection:  ~170
# of Unopened Sets in Collection:  114
# of LEGO Pieces:  ~30,000
# of LEGOfests Attended:  none
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited:  none

First LEGO Set:  6268 Renegade Runner (and miscellaneous hand-me-downs
as a child)
LEGO Dark Age:  1967-1994
First LEGO set after the Dark Age:  6268 Renegade Runner
Favorite Theme(s):  Pirates
Favorite Set(s):  6277
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s):  Imperial Guardsmen
Set/theme you would like to see:  Bring back Pirates
Current LEGO Project:  Completion of ongoing set inventory/part census,
followed by completion of coastal fortress & village (larger than
Imperial Trading Post and El Dorado Fortress) with docked Imperial Ship
of the Line, under attack by pirates.

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:  Neighbor kids all want to come play with
my toys

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests:    Federal Writers Project Guides, Hiking,
Camping, Canoeing, Baseball, Role-playing Games

From: fozboot@my-dejanews.com
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 22:17:27 GMT

Rec.Toys.Lego Roll Call/ De-lurking Form (Version 3.2)

Name:  Chris Ernest Hall
Gender:  male
Year of Birth:  1968
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child:  14
Location:  SF Bay Area
E-mail Address: fozboot@best.com
LEGO/home page URL(s):  none yet (auction site coming soon)
Marital Status:  single
Children:  0
Occupation:  Software engineer specializing in user interfaces
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since:  1998

# of Sets in LEGO Collection:  504
# of Unopened Sets in Collection: 0
# of LEGO Pieces:  75,000
# of LEGOfests Attended: 0
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited: 1, original Legoland, 1978

First LEGO Set: July 11, 1972 (4th birthday), 348- Mini Wheel Car & Truck Set
LEGO Dark Age: 1993-1997
First LEGO set after the Dark Age: 6442 - Sting Ray Explorer
Favorite Theme(s): Blacktron I, Divers, Ice Planet 2002, Mtron, Airport,
Adventurers, Ninja, original Castle
Favorite Set(s): Blacktron Message Intercept Base, Galaxy Explorer, Galaxy
Commander, TGV Train, Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins, Deep Reef Refuge
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s):
Set/theme you would like to see: Adventurers in Shangri-la, non-ninja feudal
Japan, Victorian Adventurers (Sherlock Holmes/HG Wells era), Arabian Nights
Current LEGO Project: mountain with castle and train tunnel, Ninja fortress,
dark grey & beige classic space-style spaceship like Galaxy Explorer

Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:  hopefully my forthcoming auction

Other (Non-LEGO) Interests: software development, interface design & usability
engineering, music, writing

From: "John Matthews" <jmatthew@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 22:44:39 -0500

Name:John Matthews
Gender:Male
Year of Birth:1963
Mental Age/Status of Inner Child:Alive and well
Location:Columbus, Ohio
E-mail Address:jmatthew@columbus.rr.com
LEGO/home page URL(s):coming soon/TBA
Marital Status:single NLgirlfriend
Children:none
Occupation:Architect
On R.T.L (A.T.L) Since:Sept 98
# of Sets in LEGO Collection:~50
# of Unopened Sets in Collection:0
# of LEGO Pieces:~10,000
# of LEGOfests Attended:0
# of LEGO Theme Parks Visited:0
First LEGO Set:Red Bucket
LEGO Dark Age:1988-1998
First LEGO set after the Dark Age:MindStorms
Favorite Theme(s):Technic/Town/Train
Favorite Set(s):6463 Lunar Rover (right now)
Favorite Piece(s)/Minifigure(s):2 to 4 angled stud changer/Super Train
Conductor
Set/theme you would like to see:Technic beam and plate bucket (with 1x2
plate bricks)
Current LEGO Project:beverage delivery system
Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame:none yet :)
Other (Non-LEGO) Interests:gaming, darts, beer, Architecture

Last updated Thu Jan 6 02:26:37 EST 2000 .

This page by David A. Karr / karr@shore.net