The rec.toys.lego Roll Call

Part 9

This document is hosted by LUGNET.

The following is a small part of the responses to the rec.toys.lego Roll Call. Refer to the Table of Contents or the Alphabetical Index for other parts of the Roll Call.

From: slipstick@photobooks.atdc.gatech.edu (Gordon Smith)
Date: 11 Jun 1995 00:28:50 GMT

Name:	Gordon Smith
Sex:	M
Age:	24
Marital status: Single
Children: None
Occupation: Graduate Student in Physics
# of sets in LEGO collection: Easily dozens
# of LEGO pieces: Easily thousands
Favorite theme(s): Expert/Technic
Favorite set(s): The Supercar
Current project:
	Split between making a new version of my walker and
building an abbetoir for a friend (It's so hilarious to see the lego
people grinning happily, ignoring the whirling blades!!!)

From: firedog@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us (FireDog)
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 1995 02:24:17 GMT

Name: Regina Franchi
Sex: Female
Age: 25
Marital status: Sort of
Children: never
Occupation: US Navy
# of sets in LEGO collection: ??
# of LEGO pieces: ??
Favorite theme(s): Castle
Favorite set(s): Pirate ship
Current project: Building a jousting scene

From: fuesz@aps4.anl.gov (Peter L. Fuesz)
Date: 11 Jun 1995 04:51:16 GMT

Name: Peter L. Fuesz
Sex: Male
Age: 24
Marital status: Married
Children: 1st due in Sept.95!
Occupation: Accelerator Operator @ Argonne National Lab., Chicago, IL
# of sets in LEGO collection: ~40
# of LEGO pieces: ~40 sets worth (?)
Favorite theme(s): Castle all the way babe!
Favorite set(s): #6085 Black Monarch's Castle & #6060 Knight's Challenge
Current project: A "model train" type landscape for my Castle kingdom,
                 currently 3, 4x8 sheets of plywood makes up the base.

I just gained access to the net back in March, and will be here for the
long haul. I've had nothing but fun, and enjoy all the help, comments
and yes.. the auctions!!

Peter
fuesz@aps.anl.gov

| Argonne National Laboratory |
| Advanced Photon Source      |
| Operations Group            |

From: muhl@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Redaxe)
Date: 11 Jun 1995 05:01:49 GMT

Name:  Aaron Muhl
Sex: Male
Age: 20
Marital status: Not if it means sharing my LEGO!
Children: Maybe once I grow up.....
Occupation: Junior Electrical Engineering student at Purdue University
# of sets in LEGO collection:  > 100
# of LEGO pieces:  > 10,000
Favorite theme(s):  Castle
Favorite set(s):  Kings castle (#?)  Castle Tavern set (#?)
Current project:  Building moat and bailey outpost, complete with gates,
		trapdoors, stairs, jail, secret doors, wizard lab, and
		treasure room.  Trying to build keep to be somewhat
		historically correct.  Also setting up scene with adventurers
		looking down on massive dragon army to scan in and place on
		home page.  Always looking for sales, that seems to be the
		one ongoing project!

  http://cernan.ecn.purdue.edu/~muhl
  muhl@en.ecn.purdue.edu

From: mwong@bmcwest.com (Mark Wong)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 09:15:47 UNDEFINED

Name:		Mark Wong
Sex:		Male
Age:		22
Marital status: Single
Children:	0
Occupation:	Unix Sys Admin
# of sets in LEGO collection:	50+
# of LEGO pieces:	Oh, please  :-)
Favorite theme(s):	Space -- Ice planet, Aquazone
Favorite set(s):	Deep Freeze Defender, Message Intercept Base
Current project:

Converting all blue, white, black legos into Ice Planet stuff!!!
Hey, I need more heat-shield orange pieces!  Since everyone hates them,
they wouldn't mind trading or giving away  :-)
( Never tho Legos away )

OTHER:
When the Command Center came out ( the base before the Beta-1 )
I collected every set up to the introduction of the Futuron stuff (perhaps
before they were called Futuron).

Got back into Legos with Blacktron I and then Ice Planet/Spyrius.

Mark thinks _white_ aquazone hex pieces would add alot to the Ice Planet
iceburg base he want to make.
( Never spray paint Legos )

mwong@bmcwest.com
BMC West Corporate HQ
CIS Dept.   Boise, ID
Mark Wong   Sys Admin

From: dbair@omni.voicenet.com (Dan Bair)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 11:11:59 LOCAL

Name: Dan Bair
Sex:    Yeah, I enjoy it as much as Lego
Age: 42 but I don't look a day over 41
Marital status: happily divorced
Children: Son Sam age 4 who got me into this
Occupation:  Stock Broker with Merrill Lynch for 19 years.
# of sets in LEGO collection: 164
# of LEGO pieces: 12,406 (Okay, I'm a little anal.)
Favorite theme(s):  Trains, Trains, Trains, Town, and Pirate
Favorite set(s):  The Metroliner - Skull's Eye Schooner
Current project:  A town/train set that covers 5 sheets of 4 by 8 foot
plywood that fills a 12 by 20 foot room.  It currently has 250 pieces of
track and 64 pieces of roadway.  There are three trains but only two
controllers.  Four level crossways and two switching tracks.  I have just
built the airport and thanks to Peter Cook have an airport schuttle to add to
it.

I bought my first Lego for Sam 8 months ago.  It was the Pirate ship the
Skull's Eye Schooner # 6286.  It was on a rainy Sunday morning when tennis was
cut short and Sam was big into pirates.  I firgured that I would slap this
together in an hour and Sam could play with it the rest of the day.  (It took
a bit longer than an hour:>), and I was doing all of the playing, but I was
hooked.)  Sam loves all of his pirate ships and castles.  The rest was
downhill from there.  It any one wants to talk trains or Legos just call me at
800 964-5480.  I am on the look out for any old trains or any old catlogues.
Thanks

Dan Bair

From: aj700@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Chris Fretwell)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 15:07:45 GMT

Name: Christine Fretwell
Sex: Female
Age: 29
Marital status: Single
Children: 2 cats
Occupation: Computer programmer
# of sets in LEGO collection: 70-80
# of LEGO pieces: 8000
Favorite theme(s): Castle & town
Favorite set(s): Forestmen River crossing
Current project: not really building, but to create a complete lego
database, with every set, and every piece catalogued

From: dan@hegemon.demon.co.uk (Dan Smart)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 15:55:29 GMT

Name:		Dan Smart
Sex:		Male
Age:		29
Marital status:	Married
Children:	0
Occupation:	Programmer analyst
# of sets in LEGO collection:	20+
# of LEGO pieces:	?
Favorite theme(s):	Technic (and possibly early space)
Favorite set(s):	The Car
Current project:
Lego computing - Roll over Babbage and Turing, I'm here, and I'm
feeling silly. Also things that walk (stagger crawl etc).

From: norton@tardis.avid.com (Mark Norton)
Date: 12 Jun 1995 15:11:40 -0400

Name:  Mark J. Norton
Sex:   Male
Age:   40
Marital status:  Married
Children:  two:  Cassie (11), Michael (8 + co-lego-maniac)
Occupation:  Software Engineer
# of sets in LEGO collection: ~120, active since 1980.
# of LEGO pieces:  kinda hard to tell, 8000+.
Favorite theme(s):  I personally favor trains, technic and castle in
    that order.  Michael is dedicated to space models.
Favorite set(s):  Load'n'Haul Railroad
Current project:  I'm collecting Octan-related sets that would work
    well with my trains, such as the Gas Station, Gas Transport, etc.

Other lego preferences include:  I apply stickers that come with models,
    but not stickers in Idea Books (Bill and Mary, for example).  I sort
    all my pieces in little parts drawers, which my son then proceeds to
    randomize.  I do not keep models assembled, except for trains.  I don't
    maim legos by cutting them or adding holes (but I've been tempted!).
    My collection is strictly Lego-brand building bricks, but Michael has
    been given one or two Megablocks sets that keep turning up with the Lego's
    (aaarrgg!!! :-( ).  I don't buy sets as investments, but given recent
    trades with Todd Lehman, I may start.  I don't mind auction updates in
    r.t.l, but bandwidth is high.

In simple, I'm problably hooked for life.

From: aspect@cats.ucsc.edu (Christopher Taylor Oates)
Date: 12 Jun 1995 21:55:50 GMT

Name: Chris Oates
Sex: Male
Age: 22
Marital status: None
Children: None
Occupation: Student

# of sets in LEGO collection: Lots -- All castle sets but 3, a bunch of
misc. space sets going back to Galaxy Explorer, a few pirates to augment
castle stuff, at least one of each Aquazone set, etc.  No town but what I got
for spare parts & as part of multi-packs.

# of LEGO pieces: Wow.  Lots. :)
Favorite theme(s): Castle, space, aquazone, pirate...
Favorite set(s): Any of the old big castles, the Tavern, ???

Current project: The WolfPack Castle.  Combining pieces from a Wolfpack tower,
Majisto's tower, Dark Dragon's Den, Rock Island Refuge and other misc. pieces
to build the Wolfpack a decent home.  THeir numbers have been augmented through
strategic purchase of pirate sets (Renegate Runner, pirate minifigs (including
the woman) the island) and duplicate Wolfpack sets.  With their alliance to
Edmund the Black Falcon, they are a force to be reckoned with!  No more shall
they be mere gypsies who followed Robert back from his mad quest north... They
shall... erm... I'm getting a bit arried away here... :)

p.s. I'm a set-based collector for castles.  The only set I don't have built
is the Dark Dragon's Den, the original of which has been used for the
Wolfie Castle.  The other sets for that were purchased for the sake of building
it.

From: bjohnson@osprey.csrv.uidaho.edu (Beej)
Date: 12 Jun 1995 23:48:49 GMT

Name: Brian Johnson
sex: male
age: 24
married?  Will be July 29- Yahooo!
(no kids for a while)
occupation: Graphic designer...soon to be a student again!
# sets in Lego collection: 23
# of pieces: You can guess- i don't buy many big sets (money! :^P )
favorite theme: SPACE!  Space Police II and Launch Command (i know-it's Town.)
favorite set: Space Police Solar Snooper & Rebel Hunter(6897). Spyrius
Roboguardian(6949).
current project: waiting until i can afford the cool Launch Command
shuttle launch pad (6339)

Beej
bjohnson@osprey.csrv.uidaho.edu

From: abjanes@aol.com (ABjanes)
Date: 13 Jun 1995 13:20:31 -0400

Name: Atle Bjanes
Sex: M
Age: 33
Marital status: Married - Laura - Lego enthusiast par excellence
Children: David (5), Elisabet (3), Emily (1)
Occupation: Engineer
# of sets in LEGO collection: ?
# of LEGO pieces: 11,864
Favorite theme(s): Town
Favorite set(s): Old (1967-69) sets - eg. old tow truck (don't have the
number here)
still have all the instructions from back when I started with Lego, and,
providentially, they are all in remarkably good condition!
Current project:  Reconstruct Pirate Ship 6285 gotten at a yard sale
together with David who was _very_ excited when we got the two large
buckets with Lego that included the ship.  Especially since his father had
banned Pirate and Castle stuff before (C'mon - we didn't have this stuff
back when I was (am) a kid!)

From: ccollins@mathsun24.math.utk.edu (Charles Collins)
Date: 13 Jun 1995 18:33:12 GMT

Name: Chuck Collins
Sex: M
Age: 33
Marital status: M
Children: John, 4 (it is really his LEGO, yes really, no I mean it)
Occupation: Professor
# of sets in LEGO collection: 20-30
# of LEGO pieces: 5000+
Favorite theme(s): (John) Space, Aquazone, Castle, (Me) Space, Technic
Favorite set(s): whatever we last built (probably the Aquanaut Sub)
Current project: (John) Small space ships, space robots, and overly armed
                        space guys
                 (Me)   Whatever John wants, mostly larger space ships

From: DFINNEY@Jetson.uh.edu (Doug Finney)
Date: 13 Jun 1995 21:39:35 GMT

Name: Doug Finney
Sex:  X
Age:  27
Marital status: Married (7 months :)
Children: Who needs 'em when we've got each other
Occupation: Programmer/Analyst
# of sets in LEGO collection: Good question
# of LEGO pieces: Better question. I'd guess between 10,000 and 20,000.
Favorite theme(s): Model Team, Aquazone, Space, Castle, Town, Pirate, Technic
                   (roughly in that order)
Favorite set(s): 5590 Whirl N' Wheel Super Truck, various others run a close
                 second.
Current project: 1) Get everyone's K-mart clearance sets headed their way and
                    and get what's left organized enough to start the auction
                    I've been mentioning off and on since my last one ended.
                 2) Build all the new sets I bought for myself at K-mart. I
                    did get the Sail N' Fly Marina together last week but the
                    Imperial Trading Post, Mach II Red Bird Rig and smattering
                    of smaller sets should keep me busy for some time.
                 3) Reorganize my collection. I've _way_ outgrown the "store
                    various pieces in the boxes from large sets" stage which
                    had served me so well throughout childhood. I also keep
                    forgetting to see if my Galaxy Explorer instructions are
                    indeed under the tray in the box like I think or if they've
                    vanished without a trace. :O scary thought

From: fperry@infohwy.com (Fred Perry)
Date: 13 Jun 1995 21:55:08 GMT

Name: Fred Perry
Sex: Male
Age: 37
Marital status: S.O.
Children: You must be kidding, they might want to play with my Lego.
Occupation: Organ Transplant Services
# of sets in LEGO collection: 597 as of June 1, 1995
# of LEGO pieces: Too many to count.
Favorite theme(s): Town
Favorite set(s): Train, Harbor, Airport & Shuttles
Current project: Just constantly acquiring more Lego to someday finish my
                       Legopolis.

From: Larry Katz <74431.56@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 14 Jun 1995 12:38:08 GMT

Name: Larry Katz
Sex: M
Age: 29
Marital status: Single
Children: Nope
Occupation: Systems Analyst @ McCormick & Co. Baltimore, MD.
# of sets in LEGO collection: ~150
# of LEGO pieces: "billions and billions" - C. Sagan
Favorite theme(s): 1. Castle  2. Pirates  3. Technic
Favorite set(s): The Super Car is just tooooo cool !!
Current project: Scouring the countryside on weekends looking for
old castle lego sets.

From: kjohnston@macromedia.com (Kevin Johnston)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 17:47:48 -0700

Name: Kevin Johnston
Sex: M
Age: 32 (just today)
Marital status: Single
Children: "Self"
Occupation: Software Engineer
# of sets in LEGO collection: uhhhh... 600? (bad habit and I got it bad)
# of LEGO pieces: tens of thousands? hundreds?
Favorite theme(s): Castle (by far), Pirate, Model Team
Favorite set(s): Camouflaged Outpost (first Forestmen set), Imperial
Trading Post (a mere shadow of the one I REALLY want to build), Whirl 'N
Wheel Super Truck, the early-90's Space Shuttle Launching Pad, the
late-80's Blacktron Message Intercept Base (hasn't been a good space base
since)
Current project: Move to a bigger place so I can REALLY play with my Lego
Favorite Childhood Lego Fantasy: the practical equivalent of an unlimited
supply of Lego: any piece, any color, any time; I wanted to "wade" in Lego
when I was a kid.

Still do.   :-)

From: Javier Ramos <Javier.Ramos@MAC.MB.WAU.NL>
Date: 14 Jun 1995 14:48:04 GMT

Roll Call?
Well, somebody can make a sociological thesis on the Roll Call material.
There is enough people even for making statistics!

E-mail: Javier.Ramos@MAC.MB.WAU.NL
Name: Javier Ramos
Age: 27
Nationality: Spaniard
Occupation: Oberkommandierender Kriegsherr... making Ph.D in
     Molecular Biology in free time.
M.S.: (Or S.M.?) Multiple mess (three boyfriends and one girlfriend
      at the moment. We are never bored).
Kids: Did you read the "Selfish Gene" or Heinlein?. I will clone
       myself (not too many of them(me), probably they(me) will want
       to be cloned themselves too...).
Cats: They use to like me. I do not care, provided they keep their nails hidden.
Number of Lego sets: 33 in the Dark Ages (1971-1978), around 140 since the
        Rediscovery (1991, including things 1979-1995).
Pieces: You want them classified by type, color and date of origin?
Oldest complete set: A colourful train without motor from 1972.
Favourite set: London bus, I got it in 1974 for my 7th birthday. Never
       dismounted (well, it is not true, but only part of the upper
       deck).  From more recent times: 6980, Galaxy Commander 1983, I
       bought in a shop last September.
Favourite theme: I restarted buying Lego because of middleages Lego,
       but suddenly I have found myself buying a lot of old space Lego.
Current project: I made my castle too impregnable.  So, now I am
       making big siege towers (I had a look at those Spyrius robots
       and maybe...and those wheels...).  I need more people for the
       invading army. I expect 40% of casualties in the first 20
       minutes.

From: michael@macros.cage.curtin.edu.au (Michael Deegan)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 95 21:02:17 GMT

Name: Michael Deegan
Sex: Male
Age: 23
Marital status: Single
Children: None
Occupation: Student
# of sets in LEGO collection: 3 Technic, about a dozen or two of Town and
Space stuff.
# of LEGO pieces: Eek. Haven't counted. Not enough :-)
Favorite theme(s): in order: Technic, trains, space, town.
Favorite set(s): The big supercar... $-)
Current project: None I'm afraid.

Michael Deegan       Ph +61 9 409 6261       michael@macros.cage.curtin.edu.au

From: mja@coffee.phys.unm.edu (Mary Jayne Adriaans)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 95 15:05:48 GMT

Name:  Mary Jayne Adriaans
Sex: F
Age: 30
Marital status: not married, not taken
Children: none (but I'm looking forward to them, someday).  I do have a
    2 year old niece that I have hooked on Duplo, though.  :-)
Occupation:  Physicist  (post-doc)
# of sets in LEGO collection: 135
# of LEGO pieces: 14,000
    I was inspired by the way some people in this group keep track of
    their lego collections, so I thought I would see exactly what I
    had.  Boy was I suprised.  It added up faster than I expected.
Favorite theme(s): Used to be just a space collector.  Started with
    Mtron and collected every space set since.  So the collection is
    complete from Mtron through Ice planet.  But wasn't too happy with
    the Spyrius line, so I started branching out.  Oh, what have I
    done?!!  Now I'll buy any lego set that looks interesting.
    Currently I'm trying to collect the Forestmen sets.  Wish I had
    done that when they were first out.
Favorite set(s): Blacktron II Arial Intruder.  I really like the way
    the little cars roll out when you open the hatch!  Any Forestmen
    set.
Current project: Sherwood forest (hence the need for more forestmen!)
    Built a waterfall last night.  Looks pretty good if you squint at
    it from a distance.  :-)

Last updated Thu Jan 6 02:26:36 EST 2000 .

This page by David A. Karr / karr@shore.net