The rec.toys.lego Roll Call

Part 6

This document is hosted by LUGNET.

The following is a small part of the responses to the rec.toys.lego Roll Call. Refer to the Table of Contents or the Alphabetical Index for other parts of the Roll Call.

From: flournoy@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Raymond Suke Flournoy)
Date: 16 Jan 1995 21:12:48 GMT

Name:  Raymond S. Flournoy
Age:  28
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  None
Employment:  Graduate student, Instructor
Number of Sets in Collection:  maybe around 50?
Number of Pieces:  ?
Oldest Set:  some flat trees and joined-2x2 vehicle hitches from
	wa-a-ay back
Favorite Themes:  Castle
Favorite Piece in Collection:  the ghost!

flournoy@cs.stanford.edu
Computer Science Dept.
Stanford University, CA

From: Jordan Maynard <maynard@ucssun1.sdsu.edu>
Date: 17 Jan 1995 06:57:32 GMT

Name: Jordan D. Maynard
Age: 19.8
Occupation: Student SDSU/ Product Analyst: Electronic Arts
Married: Not!
Kids: See above.
Number of sets in collection: 90+
Number of pieces: 5000+
Oldest Set: Ok, it is a Space Truck with a rocket on it and two
pure yellow Space Mini-figs without visors. Early 80s.
Favorite Themes: Castle, Space, AQUAZONE!
Favorite Set: right now I think its the Big Dragon Masters castle. 6082
Favorite thing I've built: A fantasy D&D style town that took most
of the floor space in my room. We used it for a role-playing campaign
in which all the characters were mini-figs (or dragons!). I wrote all
the rules for the combat before I ever heard of LEGOwars.

From: sally@Violet.CCIT.Arizona.EDU (Sally_Garnaat)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 17:37:57 GMT

Name:    Sally Garnaat	        	Ben		  Lynn
Age:             43		         10		     6
M.S.:         married	        	nope	           nope
Kids:           yes                    nope		   nope
Occupation:  Comp App Spec           student            student
# Sets:         10                   hundreds            25-30?
# Pieces:     Hundreds        Thousands and thousands    hundreds
First Sets:   Majesto wkshop         Duplo misc        Lego 3+ plastic box
							('handed down Duplos')
							(but they weren't    )
							(ever really mine    )
Oldest Sets:      "            Lego (mom sold the Duplo)   Lego 3+ box
				(shame on Mom)
Favorite Set: Imperial Trading   Last one bought
                     Post
Favorite Theme:    Town           Space/Castle/          Belville
	                              Aquazone

Since I can't keep track of what my son has, I made a list of what instruction
books he has.  It came in VERY handy at birthday/Chistmas time.  I also kept
track of prices for comparison shopping.  It is a nice way of seeing what
we have, but is no longer being made.  Or what sets we should have bought
but didn't!  (I went thru shop at home this summer and entered every item
in the catalog).

By the way, I called Dacta and ordered their catalog.  The  voice message
system said it would be shipped in 48 hrs.  We'll see how long it takes to get
here (now that my son has spent his Christmas money!)

From: "Rev. Doktor Drew" <drewt@rain.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 11:07:33 -0800

Name: Andrew "Dr. Drew" Tuttle
Age: 31
M.S.: double (un-hitched yet very attached)
Kids: Igby (an iguana puppet), Zilla (a plush Godzilla), Tiger Bear (a
      large brown teddy bear given to me by my sweetheart), etc.
Employment: None (see location)
Number of sets in collection: more than 20
Number of pieces: more than 20 to the 3rd power
Oldest set: A yellow trailer truck from about 1970
Favorite theme: Islander (currently) also fond of Space
Favorite set in collection: My motorized Technic set
Location: Santa Barbara, California

Andrew Tuttle
Rev. Doktor Drew
drewt@rain.org
drewt@io.com

From: donnac@myhost.subdomain.domain (Donna Coumarianos)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 09:17:43 GMT

Name:   Donna Coumarianos
Age:    25
Marital Status:  Nearly married
Kids:    4 cats
Employment:   Admin Officer
Number of Sets in collection:  6 sets, plus a number of smaller kits (you
dont really count them as sets do you?) and childhood lego bricks.
Number of pieces:  unknown
Oldest set:   the lego set I was given when i was about five, would have
been in 1974 or 19755.  I have no
memory of the box it came  in, so I do not know what it was supposed to
make. Lots of pieces and red roof tiles.  Also a family with figures about
6cm high, much larger than minifigures.  I still have the little girl from
the family intact.
Favorite theme:  technic, town
Location:  Brisbane, Australia

I am very new to this newsgroup and to lego collecting.  My boyfriend and I
have only been seriously into lego since about christmas last year.  It all
started about 6 months ago when we helped some people clean up their house
and came away with a small amount of someones lego collection in a tuperware
container large enough to fit a cake inside.  It sat in a cupboard for six
months, then one day just before xmas I walked passed it and decided it was
time I washed it.  That was it - we were hooked.  We both had lego as
children, Peters had long since died, but I went over to my mothers and got
mine.  We got a catalogue, bought six technics kits, got a friend of ours to
lend us his childhood lego (he is only ninteen or so, so he had 6080 a cool
castle, a train station, and heaps of space stuff), and here we are.

From: hoffinemc@alpha.hendrix.edu (MC SUCKA FOO)
Date: 17 Jan 95 11:53:26 -0600

Name: Matt Hoffine
Age: 21
M.S.: Single
Kids: yes, we are
Employment: Student...Hendrix College
Major: Double major Philosophy and psychology...not smart enough to be
       An engineer like most of you...sigh
# of sets: um...100's?
# of pieces: Don't ask
oldest set: All I remeber about it is the person had bendy arms, and a very
            large head
Favorite theme: Old space freak...recent Castle convert
Fav. set: Yellow caste...because of the face guards
Favorite thing i have build:  A Monkey juicer....it squeezes the juice out
                              of the monkeys, parrots, and islanders so the
                              Wizards have something to drink.
Location: School is in Conway, Arkansas....20 min. N of Little Rock
	  Home is Houston, Tx

I thought my obsession with LEGO's was some sort of childhood trauma...now I'm
at least glad that is isn't unique.

From: s900883@minyos.xx.rmit.EDU.AU (George Georgiou)
Date: 16 Jan 1995 07:26:16 GMT

Name: George Georgiou
Age: 23
M.S.: Single
Kids: Nope
Employment: Uni Student. (Aerospace Engineering)
Number of sets in collection: about 13
Number of pieces: about 5000
Oldest set: LL914 spaceship, (I can remember getting the old floating
police boat, which had mini-figs with non-moveable limbs.) but I
only have a headless minifig remaining.
Favorite theme: Space, Castle
Favorite set in collection: Not too sure (I love my mini-figs)
Location: Melbourne, Australia.

From: hollis@jacobs.mn.org (Holly Kilheffer)
Date: 17 Jan 1995 21:23:24 GMT

Name: Holly Kilheffer
Age: 25
Occupation: Freelance Artist/Writer
Married: Almost, but not quite (Aug. '95)
Kids: Bleck! Ick! Yuck! Then I'd have to share! :)
Number of sets in collection: 30
Number of pieces: haven't gotten around to counting them yet -- too busy
                  using them!
Oldest Set: First set I remember getting was a tow rig (#1572 -- 1985?)
Favorite Themes: Castle, Trains
Favorite Set: Train! (I've got the Load 'n' Haul, haven't peruaded the guy
                      to get me the new one yet :)
Favorite Thing I've Built: Caboose for Load 'n' Haul

General Comments: I've been wanting to collect LEGO since I was very little
                  (the neighbors had it and I didn't *waah* :) -- I finally
                  started while I was in high school. Since then I've been
                  able to persuade almost everyone who is a relative/friend
                  that "buying Holly LEGOs is a GOOD thing" But I've
                  made it difficult because 1) I don't like the space themes
                  2) I don't like anything that has the 3D molded bases and
                  3) I won't allow anyone (accept my fiancee) to buy me the
                  large ($75+) sets.

holly k/hollis@abu.mn.org/hollis@winternet.com
don't "r" to the header -- that address doesn't exist! :)

From: drake@wam.umd.edu (daedalus)
Date: 18 Jan 1995 05:41:03 GMT

Name: Paul D. Samuel
Age: 21
M.S.: Nope
Kids: None
Employment: Student, undergaduate aeronautical engineer,
	Univ. of MD College Park
Number of Sets in Collection: ~100, more or less
Number of Pieces: No Idea
Oldest Set: Spirit of St. Louis, circa 1975, 76? Set number unknown
Favorite Themes: Space, but I think I'm going to really like Aquazone as
	well (It's sort of space like...)
Favorite Set in Collection: I can't narrow it down any further than these
	4 sets, so here goes:
	 Blacktron Renegade 6954
	 Space Police Spy-Trak 1 6895
	 Inter-Galactic Command Base 6971
	 X-1 Patrol Craft 6861

From: char@sunburn.racal.com (Charlotte Noll)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 13:58:59 GMT

Name: Charlotte Noll char@sunburn.racal.com
Age:  36
M.S.: Married
Kids: 5YO son Justin
Employment:  Programmer
Number of Sets in Collection: about 30-40
Number of Pieces: 2 big Plano tackle boxes full and overflowing
Oldest Set:       Just started collecting when Justin was 2-3YO.
Favorite Themes:  Space, Technic and New Aquazone

Favorite Set in Collection:  The 2 new Aquazone submarines are great.
 My son and I checked out all the toy stores in the area over the last
 few weeks and bought all the new Aquazone sets except the big one.
 That will have to wait until our birthdays later this year.

Location: South Florida, USA

Bragging: My 5YO son put together his first set from the instructions
 all by himself the other day. It was the new small Apollo space set and
 boy was he proud of himself. He's always built stuff made up on his own
 which is great but he always thought the instructions were too hard.
 Can't stop him now - he's off and building.

From: mdoar@amaryllis (Matthew Doar)
Date: 18 Jan 1995 16:18:27 GMT

Name: Matthew Doar
Age: 28
M.S. To be married in April
Kids: None
Employment: Software Engineer, Networking
Number of sets in collection:  100 in lifetime
Number of pieces:  no idea
Oldest set: Basic set from 1971
Favorite Themes: technic, absolutely
Favorite set: Supercar

Matthew B. Doar			Ascom Nexion, Inc.
mdoar@nexen.com			289 Great Road,
+1 508 266 3468			Acton, MA 01720, USA

From: dan@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Dan Allard)
Date: 18 Jan 1995 10:03:05 -0800

Name:  Dan Allard
Age: 25
M.S.: Single, living with SO
Kids: None (well, 1 Iguana)
Employment: Programmer/Engineer
Number of Sets in Collection: 20-30
Number of Pieces:  Unknown (see notes)
Oldest Set: Also unknown
Favorite Themes:  Castle (Forestmen, Black Knight), Pirates
Favorite Set in Collection: Forestman's Fortress
Education: BS in Engineering Physics, Tufts U. in Boston MA
Notes: Some years ago I bought a large box of lego from a friend for 20$,
including a lot of the old space sets (the ones with blue and grey pieces,
plain spacemen), which is unfortunately still in Boston at my parents house.
I can't even guess how many pieces there are in it.  I am sure that my oldest
set is somewhere here.

From: talbot@vangelis.sandiegoca.attgis.com (Steve Talbot)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 04:09:15 GMT

Name: Eric Talbot
Age:  11
Emploment: 5th grade
Number of sets: 2 (that are still built)
Number of pieces: 1000?
Favorite Themes: Space, Technic
Favorite Set: Recon Robot
Oldest Set: Dragsters from 1990

--
Steve.Talbot@SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM
NCR Corporation, LCPD-San Diego

From: gcs@dsto.defence.gov.au (Gary Speechley)
Date: 19 Jan 1995 05:49:05 GMT

Name:                  Gary Speechley
Age:                   38
Location:              Hurstville, NSW Australia
Occupation:            Researcher, submarine sonars
Married:               Yes, 11 years
Kids:                  1 upstart miniature Schnauzer
Number of sets:        40+
Number of pieces:      who knows?
Oldest Set:            The one I got when I was MUCH, MUCH younger, still with
                       the original boxes and fold-out town plan.
Favorite Themes:       Technic
Favorite Set:          The large Technic helicopter
Favorite Construction: I used to make submarines, four feet long.

My first job was with Lego. Their distribution centre was located
where my father worked as part of the Taubmans paint factory at
Villawood. (I think there was a link between Coultalds/Taubmans/Lego
here in Australia in the early days). My job was to complete demo
models received from Denmark if they were damaged in transit.  I
recall receiving a half-completed model ship and asked to do the
superstructure.  To achieve this, a stack of water-damaged boxes were
delivered to me with the offer that I could keep anything I didn't
need for the ship. Needless to say, I was in to minimalist structures
long before engineers discovered finite-element analysis!  My father
eventually became a storeman for Lego, and in my early teens, I'd have
a job during school holidays and some weekends filling orders on the
warehouse, or helping to unload the latest container shipment.

It was my first paying job!

---
         D E P A R T M E N T  O F  D E F E N C E
        Defence Science & Technology Organisation

  Contact Details:     Gary.Speechley@dsto.defence.gov.au

  Gary C Speechley               CIS: [100236,2246]
  DSTO Australia                 Wk:  +61 2 6921432 ph
  PO Box 44                           +61 2 6600019 fx
  PYRMONT NSW 2009               Hm:  +61 2 5703870 ph/fx

From: bowerm@hfsi.hfsi.com (Michael Bower)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 13:47:20 GMT

Name:  Michael F. Bower
Age:  48
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  2 girls, 2 boys (11, 8.5, 6.5, 5)
Employment:  data comm engineering, project manager
Number of Sets in Collection:  Unknown
Number of Pieces:  Unknown
Oldest Set:  Basic set from early 80's
Favorite Themes:  Space
--
Michael Bower                                           HFS Inc.
bowerm@hfsi.com                                7900 Westpark Dr.

From: jwrasse@ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu (john d wrasse)
Date: 27 Jan 1995 19:35:42 GMT

Name: John Wrasse
AGE:  27
M.S.: Married
KIDS: Not human; 2 cats and 1 dog
EMPLOYMENT: Indiana University Bookstore
NUMBER OF SETS: 10+
NUMBER OF PIECES: 2500+
FAVORITE THEME: Technic
FAVORITE SET: First Technic set - Go Kart
OLDEST SET: Part of the Lego Town
CURRENT PROJECT: Lego Cuckoo Clock (this is not a set - yet)

From: jasonha@bgnet.bgsu.edu (Jason Haislet)
Date: 28 Jan 1995 17:31:52 GMT

	I just found this Lego newsgroup and i am so excited :) :) :)
I have had lego since i was about 5,  every year for Christmas I got at
least one set of Legos, usually more.  I most Have the Town system.  I do
have a few Questions.

	1) where do i find the FAQ for r.t.l?
	2) are there any ftp sites?
	3) are there any Lego stores?
	4) does the Lego company pay poeple for new ideas?
	5) is anybody planning a trip to LegoLand?

	I have created some awesome vechiles and buildings in my Lego years

	Just some general info. about me

Name: Jason Haislet
Age: 20
School: Bowling Green State Univeristy
City: Bowling Green
State: Ohio
Major: Theatre

	I hope to be a regular poster on this newsgroup.

From: deroo@sproing.ultranet.com (John DeRoo)
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 1995 19:38:16 LOCAL

Name:		John DeRoo
M.S.:		Divorced
Physical Age:	29
Mental Age:	16
Children:		  2
Employment:	Electrical Engineer (digital chip design for disk drives)
Number of Sets:	Several of my own, plus several more I "share" with my kids
Number of pieces:	Many
Oldest Set:	~6 yrs - All of my childhood sets "somehow
		disappeared" while I was a teeneager and I didn't
		notice until I was about 23 :-(
Favorite Themes:	Technics, Lego-Logo (conceptually)
Favorite Set in Collection:	Oh, yeah, all the pieces *did* come
		from individual sets, didn't they?  I particularly
		like playing with the pneumatic pieces and with the
		other power-transmission pieces.
Location:	Marlborough, Mass.
Sets I Most Desire:	1) The Technic set with the electric pneumatic pump.
		2) A Lego-Logo RS232ish interface
Most Memorable Building Accomplishments:	A hanging monorail I
		built when I was 10 after going to Disney Land and an
		implementation of a vehicle suspension system that I
		found in Nasa Tech Briefs (mine was simpler and the
		working model was a *lot* cheaper!)
Current Project(s):	None :-(

John DeRoo, Marlborough, MA.  E-Mail: deroo@sproing.ultranet.com

From: iridian@netcom.com (Rebecca Glenn)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 14:23:56 GMT

Name: Becky Glenn (iridiank@netcom.com)
Age: 27
M.S: Single
Kids: No
Employment: Desktop Publishing for a major Defense Contractor
Number of Sets in Collection: lots
Number of Pieces: lots more
Oldest Set: Universal Building Set from 70s
Favorite Themes: Space, Castle, Pirate
Favorite Set: Difficult to say, but it's a draw between my Galaxy
Explorer (one of the first space sets) and the King's Castle (the grey
one that came out just after the yellow one)
Extra Tidbit: I remember this old old set I used to have, and I know I
still have the pieces but somehow the instructions went astray. It was
one of those London buses, with two levels. If anyone knows what I'm
talking about, I'd appreciate knowing that it's not just an acid
flashback.
--
rlg
the reaper

From: mohonk94@aol.com (Mohonk94)
Date: 1 Feb 1995 00:20:23 -0500

Name: Chris Stoffel
Age: 31
Married: no
Kids: no
Occupation: Group Billing Administrator at Mohonk Mountain House
Career goal: Lego Robotics Programmer
Number of Sets:15+
Number of Pieces: not enough +
Oldest Set: Air Tech Claw Rig - starting over again, somewhere in my
parents attic the really old pieces are waiting to be rediscovered.
Favorite Themes: Technic
Favorite Set: Air Tech Claw Rig
Favorite Things: wheels, motors and pneumatics
General Comments: with an interest in computers and robots, I think the
Technic sets will let me explore more and have fun at the same time.  I'm
looking forward to integrating my computers with my Lego sets.  Time for
fun now and get serious later.

Last updated Thu Jan 6 02:26:36 EST 2000 .

This page by David A. Karr / karr@shore.net