The rec.toys.lego Roll Call

Part 5

This document is hosted by LUGNET.

The following is a small part of the responses to the rec.toys.lego Roll Call. Refer to the Table of Contents or the Alphabetical Index for other parts of the Roll Call.

From: J.T.Thorpe <John.Thorpe@ClemsonSC.NCR.COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 16:10:49 GMT

Name:  J.T. Thorpe
Age:    26
M.S.:   Single w/girlfriend
Kids:   None
Employment: Information Systems Consultant

Number of sets in collection: 16-17
Number of pieces:  Why count them?
Oldest set:  Modular Space Transport
Favorite theme: Castle & Trains
Favorite set in collection:  do I have to pick one?
Education:  BS Comp Sci - Queens College 1990
	   MS Comp Sci - Clemson University 1992
Location: Greenville, SC

Rather interesting that my Lego preferences match up with
my hobbies consistently.....

J.T.Thorpe  --  AT&T Global Information Solutions

From: gas@globus.ffi.no (Geir Atle Storhaug)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 13:00:49 GMT

Name:  Geir Atle Storhaug
Age:  32
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  3 (1, 3 and 5 years old)
Employment:  Scientist
Number of Sets in Collection:  about 30 sets + about 50 liters of LEGO
	compatible bricks
Number of Pieces:  Unknown
Oldest Set:  ca. 1991
Favorite Themes:  Technic
Favorite Set in Collection:  Air Tech Claw Rig
Education: M.Sc 1986 (University of Bergen, NORWAY)
--
 ____     ___   Geir Atle Storhaug
/ ____/\ (__    X400 : G=Geir-Atle;S=Storhaug;O=ffi;P=uninett;C=no;

From: Steven_Berman@transarc.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 10:37:39 -0500

Name: 		Steven Berman
Age:   		28
M.S.:  		Married (Lynn)
Kids:  		5/9
Cats:  		2 (Faraday and Grahm)
Location: 	Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Employment:  	Systems Software Developer
Sets in Collection: 18 complete sets + pieces
Pieces:  	Too many too count (Yeah!)
Oldest Set:  	001 American (Samsonite) Gear Set and 002 4.5 V motor pack
Favorite Themes: Technic Universal sets
Favorite Set in Collection:  #180 Battery GoodsTrain (EUR:~1974-1976)

My wife and I are rediscovering Lego (esp, with the recent clearance
sales) and I love building with Technic sets.  I only rue having allowed
my mother to give away the basic building sets I had as a kid.  I am
currently constructing the "Rug Warrior" lego robot described in the book
"Mobile Robots: Inspiration to Implementation" by Joe Jones and Anita
Flynn.

From: cryogen@ionet.net (Jon C. Koerber)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 19:37:23 GMT

Name:  Jon Koerber
Age:   28
M.S.:  Engaged
Kids:  Adopt if ever
Employment:  Database Administrator, American Fidelity Corporation
Number of Sets in Collection:  12+
Number of Pieces:  Approx. 5,500
Oldest Set:  1972 Universal set (For 6th birthday in Tours, France)
Favorite Themes:  Anything that has moving parts (gears and junk)
Favorite Set in Collection:  Original technic "car chassis" 2-spd 4cyl

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 12:32:43 CST
From: Namir Gharaibeh <U50879@uicvm.uic.edu>

Yo.  Here.  I know I'm young, but I'm still growing.  As is the collection.

Name:  Namir Gharaibeh
Age:   23
M.S.:  Single, but taken
Kids:  Do cats count?
Employment:  IE Student at University of IL at Chicago (last year!)
Number of Sets in Collection:  roughly 50+
Number of Pieces:  I build with em, not count em.
Oldest Set:  A floatable ship circa 1972
Favorite Themes:  Technic, and Space (Blacktron)
Favorite Set in Collection:  Whirlwind Rescue chopper, and all
    the Expert Builder sets.
Lifelong Ambition: To be an industrial engineer at LEGO.

 Hey, if anyone's intersted, I took it upon myself to archive all
of these.  Once the flow lessens, I'll post it somewhere.  It's
big, I mean, BIG.  :)  Anyone have ideas as to where I can post
it?  I may even compile statistics if I get any requests (1).
     Keep the pieces!  (Keep the peace, peace, pieces? Nevermind.)

|        THE SNIPER'S GUILD            :  a.k.a.   Namir Gharaibeh      |
| "Proud Advocates of Creative Mayhem" :           U50879@uicvm.uic.edu |
|  Viscouse P'pello                    :     University of Illinois     |
|  Chicago Branch, XQ Division         :           at Chicago           |

From: btharp@infi.net (Bruce Tharp)
Date: 9 Jan 1995 03:55:32 GMT

In article <3eiki5$m6o@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, lzucaro@aol.com (LZucaro) says:

Name:  Bruce Tharp
Age:  38
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  2 - boy 2.5 yrs, girl 15 months
Employment:  Owner, Association Management Company
Number of Sets in Collection:  None - Starting on trains this month
Number of Pieces:  None
Oldest Set:  NA
Favorite Themes:  Trains
Favorite Set in Collection: NA

From: Chris Adams <72701.1621@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 13 Jan 1995 01:12:03 GMT

Name:  Chris Adams
Age:  30
M.S.: Married
Kids: boys 2 & 5
Employment:  Software Eng
Number Of Sets in collection: alot (placed ad for used LEGO...)
Number Of Pieces:  box 2'x3'x3' full.
Oldest Set:  4.5v trains
Favorite Themes: masks
Favorite Set: Toolo is my sons' favorites

I have constructed 2 LEGO head that my son and I can wear to LEGO
build contests in Connecticut.  I have tried to get a job at LEGO
in Enfield, CT as a LEGO modeler (US LEGO headquarters), but the
best I could do is to work for the company that writes the
software that LEGO (US and Denmark) uses to design the boxes that
LEGO comes in.

--
Chris Adams                        lpoint!adams@urartu.sdpa.org
Artios Corp.          Maker of Boxmaking CAD/CAM software tools

From: foster@mecho.cray.com (Paul Foster)
Date: 12 Jan 95 21:10:18 CST

Name: Paul Foster
Age:  28
M.S.: yes
Kids: two - 3 and 5 years old
Employment: systems engineer
Number of sets in collection: >100
Number of pieces: Lot (but not enough)
Oldest set: Lunar Lander set (multi-joint arms on people)
Favorite Themes: Technics for me, Town for kids
Favorite Set in Collection: 8862 backhoe and model Team blue/white semi
Location: Chippewa Falls, WI
Best Accomplishment: building three matching size trailers for the
                       model team semi
Lego peave: the model team tractor trailers each have different hitch
               heights that don't make them interchangeable (without mods :)
--
Paul Foster       (Foster@no2sun.cray.com)      Cray Research, Inc.

From: tubesing@lanl.gov (Phil Tubesing)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 22:32:33 GMT

Name:  Phil Tubesing
Age:  27
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  No
Employment:  Operations Engineer
Education:  BS Mecahnical Eng, Carnegie-Mellon: MIS Ind Safety, U Minn
Number of Sets in Collection:  ~12 Universal, 5 Space, ~20 Technic
Number of Pieces:  More than three
Oldest Set:  Lost the box along time ago.  Universal set from ~1973
Favorite Themes:  Technic
Favorite Set in Collection:  Pneumatic Forklift

Location :  Los Alamos, NM (since 1992)

 Other fields: How about, the thing you have on your desk/in your pencil
 case to tell others that you are a Lego addict?

1)  Technic front-end loader
2)  Car of my design with limites slip differential
          Both on to of one of my computers

So far have been able to convert several coneheads to the world of LEGOS!!

From: akay@comlab.ox.ac.uk (Andrew Kay)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 14:09:34 GMT

Name:   Andrew Kay
Age:    30
M.S.:   have co-mortgagee
Kids:   only me, but we have two goldfish and a full size cardboard
	human skeleton called Yorick.
Occupation:     computer scientist
First Sets:     I don't remember (mid/late 60s)
Favourite Sets: Sets? Favourite sets? Sets are just boxes of
pieces.
Favourite Pieces: technics length 4 "cranks"
Favourite Themes: Technics, Dacta control lab
Number of pieces: Way up in the high Oodles by now

Special interests: walking machines, remote control, robotics

Sharp Laboratories of Europe Ltd, Edmund Halley Road,
Oxford Science Park, Oxford OX4 4GA, United Kingdom.
Telephone +44-1865 747711; Fax +44-1865-747719
Email: Andrew.Kay@prg.oxford.ac.uk  or @sharp.co.uk

From: ggellert@junction.net (Gary Gellert)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 09:09:50 -0800

Name: Gary Gellert
Age: 25
M.S.: single
Kids: none, thank God!
Employment: Carpenter
Number of sets in collection: 50+
Number of pieces: 10000+
Oldest set: Duplo bricks from early 70's
Favorite theme: Technics
Favorite set in collection: Not sure of name, but Technics Crane/ForkLift
set from early 80's
Education: High School Graduate
Location: Lumby, BC, CANADA

From: norska@access4.digex.net (NorskaWood)
Date: 13 Jan 1995 19:06:25 -0500

Name:  Vikki (aka NorskaWood)
Age:  30 M.S.:
Single Kids:  Do cats count?
Employment:  Computer Scientist with a major North American government :)
Number of Sets in Collection:  One Basic, 2 Pirates, 2 Dragon Masters
(Hey, I'm just getting started!)
Number of Pieces:  Beats me.... <500
Oldest Set:  #720 Basic (C) 1985
Favorite Themes:  Pirates, Dragon Masters
Favorite Set in Collection:  The newest addition, always.  Currently my
Magic Shop.
Whine: My mommy never let me play with anything with more than one piece
to it (ok, slight exaggeration), so I was a deprived child.  I'm trying to
catch up. :)

From: christy@hpbs2625.boi.hp.com (Christy Rohrig)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 22:28:33 GMT

Name:  Christy Rohrig
Age: 24
M.S.: Not yet.
Kids:  None that I know of (and women usually know)
Employment:  Development Engingeer - Hewlett Packard, Boise, ID
Number of Sets in collections:  Not enough (only about 6)
Number of pieces:  Thousands
Oldest set:  A 1990 Firestation (I never had cool toys as a kid)
Favorite Themes:  TRAINS
Favorite Set in Collection : Load 'n' Haul RR (Got two of them!!!!!!!
and it's soooooo cool!)

Have a great year playing!!!

From: kkoehn@lichee.csil.sfu.ca (Kaari David Koehn)
Date: 13 Jan 1995 22:12:47 GMT

Name: Kaari Koehn
Age: 22
M.S.: Attached
Kids: at heart
Education: undergrad Computer Engineering
Employment: student
Number of Sets: 20?
Number of Pieces: 1000+
Oldest Set: 701 (Old Space) & thereabouts
Themes: Old Space, Castle, Pirates
Newest Set: "Runner" pirate

If I weren't doing this by heart, I'd have real set numbers. I just wanted to
mention that when Toys&Wheels (B.C. based chain) went bankrupt, I got good
deals, but all the stuff I wanted was gone before I got there & my Pirate
collection suddenly started.  I re-rigged the pirate skiff for working rigging
& tiller, using black thread.
____
Kaari
kkoehn@sfu.ca

From: zachnzach@aol.com (ZachNZach)
Date: 14 Jan 1995 00:26:00 -0500

Name:  Steve Delfino & Crispin Richey
Age:  27 & 30
M.S.:  Unisex spousal equivalents
Kids:  Not yet
Employment:  Actuary, Financial Guy
Number of Sets in Collection:  ~220
Number of Pieces:  35,000
Oldest Set:  Some yellow construction sets from mid 70's
Favorite Themes:  Town, Monorails/Trains, Aquazone, Pirates, Technic,
okay, we can't decide.
Favorite Set in Collection:Lego TC Logo Robotics PC interface (from Dacta)
 We also bought 100 Santas from a toy store that was going out of business
for the ridiculous price of 23 cents each.  That's our proudest lego find.
Claim to Fame: Our lego addiction helped an engineer friend of ours get a
job at Lego in Enfield CT.  We now have an inside contact.  Although she
still refuses to tell us about upcoming product lines.  (What a good
little employee)

From: spetermc@iconz.co.nz (Peter McHaffie)
Date: 14 Jan 1995 19:18:42 GMT

Name:             Alistair
Age:              15
M.S.:             Not yet
Kids:             No way
Employment:       Student T.G.S NZ
Number of sets:   A hell of alot.
Number of pieces: Gerzillions
Favorite theme:   Technic is cool. I like building spaceships out of
                  those standard two nobble wide red pieces.

From: roy@ydwarf.demon.co.uk (Roy B Jephson)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 1995 16:58:07 +0000

Name:  Roy Jephson
Age: 30
M.S.: Not yet
Kids:  None that I know of (but men don't always know :-) )
Employment:  Software Engineer - at a small company in England
Number of Sets in collections:  approx. 20
Number of pieces:  I prefer sticking them together rather than
counting them
Oldest set:  I don't know, probably a technics set from the mid 80's
Favorite Themes:  trains, space and technics
Favorite Set in Collection : The big ones

I've thought of a new theme but I attempted to post that to the
appropriate thread. So you will have to go looking. :-)
--
Roy B Jephson
roy@ydwarf.demon.co.uk

From: soholder@eos.ncsu.edu (Sheldon Owen Holder)
Date: 15 Jan 1995 19:15:09 GMT

Name: Owen Holder
Age: 19
M.S.: It is going to be a while
Kids:  None
Employment:  I E student at North Carolina Stat University
Number of Sets in collections:  approx. 10
Number of pieces:  Don't have them here, and have not counted
Oldest set:  Early-80's Basic
Favorite Themes:  Technics
Favorite Set in Collection:  Mid-80's 4.5 Volt motor Technic Set (get
over it, I have not had the money to updaye yet!)

From: JWSSAUER@WEDGE.watstar.uwaterloo.ca (J Sauer)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 1995 20:56:37 GMT

Name: Jacob Sauer
Age: 19
Profession:  Engineering student at University of Waterloo, Canada.
Lego sets:   Many
Pieces:	     15 years worth
Favourite theme:  Castle
Best construct:  Tie fighter that I built just last year
Comments:
	This is the first time I've seen this group.  It was great to find
	so many people who share a love for lego.  I still take time to
	check out the latest sets at the local toy store.

From: lou@tfnet.ils.unc.edu (Lou Sortman)
Date: 16 Jan 1995 16:10:45 GMT

Name:  Lou Sortman
Age:   27
M.S.:  single
Kids:  0
Employment:  UNIX system administrator / net.guru
Number of Sets in Collection:  10-20
Number of Pieces:  thousands; never counted
Oldest Set:  Expert Builder auto chasis frmo the late '70s
Favorite Theme:  Technic
Favorite Set:    Air Tech Claw Rig
Been collecting since:  ~1977 - hiatus - resumed ~1990

Whoever dies with the most LEGO wins.

Last updated Thu Jan 6 02:26:36 EST 2000 .

This page by David A. Karr / karr@shore.net