The rec.toys.lego Roll Call

Part 4

This document is hosted by LUGNET.

The following is a small part of the responses to the rec.toys.lego Roll Call. Refer to the Table of Contents or the Alphabetical Index for other parts of the Roll Call.

From: robertsk@tamu.edu
Date: 10 Jan 1995 14:55:31 GMT

Name:  Katherine Roberts
Age:  25
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  WHAT?!? And have to share my LEGO!
Employment:  Expediter for TAMU
Number of Sets in Collection:  20
Number of Pieces:  Not nearly enough
Oldest Set:  1974 (guy in a little truck) Mom hid it for
us kids for Christmas years ago, and just found it again.
Favorite Themes:  Castle! Castle! Castle! (know where I can
get any Forestmen?)
Favorite Set in Collection:  King's Mountain Fortress
Claim to LEGO Fame:  Took pictures of my real live "dragons"
(lovebirds) in and about my castles, then used the vegetable
sprayer in the sink to clean off any bird poo.
LEGO Goal:  Strike it rich at a garage sale and get lots of
bricks to build a properly defensable castle.

From: Phil ~Phlash~ Ashby <paa@mround.bt.co.uk>
Date: 10 Jan 1995 17:53:08 GMT

Name:  Philip Ashby
Age:   28
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  Martin 6, Robert 4, Joseph 1
Employment:  Professional Software Engineer (paid hacker)
Qual:  M.Eng (hons), York University, England
       AMIEE.
Number of Sets in Collection:  unknown
Number of Pieces:  Approx. 5000
Oldest Set:  1975 Police Station (I think, I was only 8-))
Favorite Themes:  none (I prefer new design challenges)
Favorite Set in Collection:  The newest one (currently the Technics
	helicopter / jeep set [8820?])

Phil ~Phlash~ Ashby.
Felixstowe, Suffolk, England.

From: bdelph@pcnet.com (Bill Delphenich)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 18:22:06 GMT

Name:                    Bill Delphenich
Age:                       43
M.S.                       Married
Kids:                      1 son (Lego-maniac Jr.)
Employment:           Architect
Number of sets:       ? (more than 30)
Number of pieces:   ?  (about 6 red buckets)
Favorite theme:        Buildings and trains, also Technics
_________________________________
William C. Delphenich, Architect
bdelph@pcnet.com
New Haven, CT
USA

From: coverstone@hpl.hp.com (Randy Coverstone)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 17:29:39 GMT

Name:  Randy Coverstone
Age:   40
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  10,11, & 10year old cat
Employment:  Engineering Manager
Number of Sets in Collection:  well over 1000
Number of Pieces:  (est) > 200,000
Oldest Set:  1980? universal set
Favorite Themes:  Technic, Train, Dacta control lab
Favorite Set in Collection:  All of 'em

From: schmchrj@rtsg.mot.com (Joseph R. Schumacher)
Date: 10 Jan 95 23:01:19 GMT

Name:  Joe Schumacher
Age:  33
M.S.:  married
Kids:  Timmy (4, chief legomaniac) and Emily (9 mo)
Employment:  Engineer
Number of Sets in Collection:
Number of Pieces:
Oldest Set:
Favorite Themes:  Space, & castle
Favorite Sets:
Been collecting since:  1973

From: art6@cornell.edu (Alan Turner)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 20:30:33

Name: Alan Turner
Landscape architect.
Currently does not own any lego
Introduced to Lego in Berlin, 1963.
Why can't I buy a bunch of 2x8 bricks in a single color anymore?
Most missed lego parts: 1x1 bricks printed with letters of the alphabet,
including vowels with unlauts.

From: Thomas Boyd <ez048001@peseta.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 09:48:03 -0800

Name:  Tom Boyd
Age:  30
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  Due June
Employment:  Grad student, mechanical engineering
Number of Sets in Collection:  200+
Number of Pieces: If I only knew...
Oldest Set:  005 (big colorful gears and lots of blocks - thanks gram)
Favorite Themes:  lotsa bricks cheap
Favorite Set in Collection: There are no individual sets, they belong to
			    the BORG now

From: hdrake@artax.webo.dg.com (Howard Drake )
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 12:57:34 GMT

Name:  Howard Drake
Age:  47
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  Twin girls, 16.
Employment:  Software Engineer
Number of Sets in Collection:  many
Number of Pieces:  More than my wife thinks is necessary, but she still
                   gave me two new sets for Christmas; one a Paradisa set,
                   she likes the men waiting on the women.
Oldest Set:  Early '70s, automatic opening garage doors.
Favorite Themes:  Castle
Favorite Set in Collection:  The yellow castle, 6075?
Favorite Thing I have built:  Large yellow castle from Bill & Mary book, #6000.

From: wchang@phage.cshl.org (William Chang in Marr Lab)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 07:15:17 -0500

Name:  William Chang
Age:   31
M.S.:  Married (soon 10 years)
Kids:  Arthur, 2 (legoholic) and Sofia, 6 months
Employment:  Computational biologist (CS PhD)
Number of Sets in Collection:  Few (not a collector)
Number of Pieces:  Not enough (but lots of dreaded Tyco for fillers)
Oldest Set:  Back around 1970...
Favorite Themes:  Space
Favorite Set in Collection:  Whichever has unusual pieces

Perfer (can only afford) small but elegant designs.  Has swing-wing
bird glider, horseshoe crab land vehicle, Star Wars inspired ships etc.

From: anw@ssm (Andy Watkins)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 13:49:41 GMT

Name:			Andy Watkins
Age:			err... 23
M.S.:			Engaged  (and she got LEGO for Christmas!)
Kids:			None
Employment:		Visualisation Programmer for BT
Number of Sets in Collection: between 5 and 15
Number of Pieces:	Dunno - I timeshare with my brother
Oldest Set:		Dunno - got first sets in aobut 1975ish
Favorite Themes: 	CASTLE
Favorite Set in Collection:  (currently) Haunted tower (*)

(*) I think the glow-in-the dark ghost is Incredible. I'm a grown man,
about to get married, and here I am shining a torch and turning the lights
out! (I must be nuts!)

 _________________
|_________________| Left: The Classic 2x4 LEGO Brick (Plan view)          Day.

From: peter.gruhn@delta.com (Peter Gruhn)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 05:59:00 -0500

Name:          Peter Gruhn
Age:           28
M.S.:          Single
Kids:          none
"Occupation":  programmer
# Sets: dunno. 20
# Pieces:      some
First Sets:    Some basic set c 1975
Oldest Sets:   ibid.
Favorite Set:  dunno
   I'm really keen on my front loader. The newmatic crane just might be
   a favourite when I get it. I like my Technic n handy lessons for your
   students set.

Favorite Theme:technic town (depending)

From: mike@cs.umd.edu (Mike Steele)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 14:07:35 -0500

Name:  Mike Steele
Age:  20
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  none
Employment:  Student, part time Unix system administration
Number of sets in collection: lost count long ago
Number of pieces:  billions and billions? :)
Oldest set:  I have no idea what it was called or what the number was,
	but it was this set with three of the old-style people with
	the flexible arms: a mother, daughter, and little boy in a
	baby carriage. (1977 or '78, I think)
Favorite themes:  Castle, Space
Favorite set in collection:  M-Tron Huge Vehicle Thingy, Black
	Monarch's Castle, Aerial Acrobats
--
Mike Steele         INET: mike@cs.umd.edu   voice: (301)405-2720
Univ. of Maryland   Dept. of Comp. Sci.     http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/mike

From: altenbur@plains.NoDak.edu (Karl Altenburg)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 18:48:16 GMT

Name:  Karl Altenburg
Age:  28
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  Two
Employment:  Grad student/computer consultant
Number of Sets in Collection:  100+/ plus hundreds of spare parts kits
Number of Pieces:  Several Thousands
Oldest Set:  Technic Motor Set from early 80's
Favorite Themes:  Technic and Duplo
Favorite Set: Technic Yellow Front End Loader
--
Karl R Altenburg				altenbur@plains.NoDak.edu
North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND  58105

From: akwong@gundam.Eng.Sun.COM (Anthony Wong)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 19:39:30 GMT

Name:  Anthony Wong
Age:   32
M.S.:  Married (7.5 yrs)
Kids:  Just me
Employment:  Electrical Engineer (microprocessors)
Number of Sets in Collection:  30+
Number of Pieces:  just the sets
Oldest Set:  started collecting 3 years ago
Favorite Themes:  Space, Technic
Favorite Set in Collection:  Multi Core Magnetizer, any Technic

Location : San Francisco Bay Area

Other:  My wife and I are saving up for one of the train sets.
         At one time we were thinking of getting LGB, but decided
         on Lego trains instead.

From: amy_stoklas-oakes@atk.com (First Last)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 18:11:01 GMT

Name:  Amy Stoklas-Oakes
Age:   26 (in 2 weeks)
M.S.:  Married (to another LEGO maniac)
Kids:  1 cat, 1 dog, 1 27 yr old housemate son (Myles)
Employment:  Process/Manufacturing Engineer
# sets in Collection:  Ack!!!  (to quote others) ??
# of pieces:   ACKKKKK!!! (I may have to actually count them)
Oldest Set:  6020 Castle Knights Tournament (1986?)
Favorite Themes:  Castle
Favorite Set:  6074 Knights castle

From: dcaudle@lib.auburn.edu (DANA CAUDLE)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 14:28:50 GMT

Name: Dana Caudle
Age: 28
M.S.: single
Kids: None
Employment: Librarian
No. of sets: I lost count after 50
No. of pieces: enough to fill two 3-cubic meter boxes
Oldest set: Town hospital from the 70's
Favorite theme: Castle!!
Favorite set: Forestman's River Fortress
Best accomplishment: I built a two-story gatehouse for one of my castles
that had a drawbridge, portcullis, and gates flanked by two towers.

From: jofickli@nmsu.edu (Joey J. Ficklin)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 23:36:48 GMT

Name: Jordan Ficklin
E-mail address:jofickli@nmsu.edu
Age:15
Education:Sophomore at Las Cruces High School
Occupation: Yeah right!
Number of Sets: ?50+?
Number of Pieces: 7 cubic feet
Favorite Themes: Town and Technic
Oldest Set:  A fire station no instructions or set number probably 15 yrs old
Favorite Set: Technic 9v motor

From: plusch@harlequin.com (Mike Plusch)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 16:56:39 GMT

Name:  Mike Plusch
Age:   26
M.S.:  Engaged
Kids:  0
Employment:  Product manager for computer languages at Harlequin
Number of Sets in Collection:  500
Number of Pieces:  about 82,000
Oldest Set:  '76/'77
Favourite Themes:  Technic, (Paradisa and Bellville because of wierd
colors)
Favourite Set in Collection:  Supercar (8880)
Been to Legoland: nope.

Things that I build: Robots, moving (walking/rolling/climbing) Lego
vehicles, and things with lots of motors.  Like to Lego-ize non-Lego
components such as sensors, computers, replacement metal parts, powerful
motors, gearboxes, remote control, etc.

From: ms3079@ARK.SHIP.EDU
Date: 12 Jan 1995 02:21:42 GMT

Name: Matt Sober
Age: 20
Location: Shippensburg Pennsylvania
M.S.: Single
Kids: none
Employment: Student (soon to be 2nd Lt. is US Army)
Number of Sets: 35+
Number of Pieces: 20,000+
Oldest Sets: Some of the first Universal Building Sets and the Red Tractor
Favorite Theme: Technic and just recently Town and Train
Favorite Set: Super Car
Favorite Thing I've Built: 4WD truck with steering and the 4wd is engaged and
disengaged by pneumatics, its comparable in size to Super Car but does have
the fancy peices used in that set for AWD.

From: rarz@access3.digex.net (Rod Arz)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 22:13:10 -0500

Name:  Rod Arz
Age:  16
M.S.: Single
Kids: None(thank god)
Employment:  High School Student
Number Of Sets in collection: ~30
Number Of Pieces:  about 12 sq. feet
Oldest Set:  Town set from 1984
Favorite Themes: Technics, Space
Favorite Set: 6973: Large Ice Planet 2000 Space Ship
--
| Rod Arz  rarz@access.digex.net
: Nemo     rarz@sub-zero.mit.edu

Last updated Thu Jan 6 02:26:36 EST 2000 .

This page by David A. Karr / karr@shore.net