The rec.toys.lego Roll Call

Part 3

This document is hosted by LUGNET.

The following is a small part of the responses to the rec.toys.lego Roll Call. Refer to the Table of Contents or the Alphabetical Index for other parts of the Roll Call.

From: Andy Boal <andyb@panda.uiowa.edu>
Date: 9 Jan 1995 13:28:52 GMT

Name: Andy Boal
Age:  22 today!!!
M.S.:  Single, but firmly attached and engaged :)
Kids:  My fiancee has one :)
Employment:  Student - 3rd year Economics and ACcounting at Queen's
      University Belfast
Number of Sets in Collection:  100s!
Number of Pieces:  Lost count
Oldest Set: I've some pre-ABS bricks from my uncles. Oldest own - c. 1976 :)
Favorite Themes:  Town & Railways
Favorite Set in Collection:  7740 High Speed train :) The 1981 original 12v
train.

From: "Morten.Steien" <hda9mst@hda.hydro.com>
Date: 9 Jan 1995 14:46:10 GMT

Name: Morten A. Steien
Age: 33
M.S.: Single
Kids: None, that i know of.
Employment: Self employed consultant in Windows / Novell
Number of Sets in Collection: Most large Technics
Number of Pieces: Who knows.
Oldest Set:
Favorite Themes: I collect only Technics
Favorite Set in Collection: Super car.

Looking foreward to get my hands on the new 95 set(s).

From: julian@gatwick.Geco-Prakla.slb.com (Julian Fitzherbert)
Date: 9 Jan 1995 14:37:26 GMT

Name:             Julian Fitzherbert
Age:              37
M.S.:             Married
Kids:             1 daughter (3 years)
Employment:       Geophysicist / Software engineer :
		  Geophysical Consultancy Company
Number of sets:   Approx 10 (since 1985)
Pieces:           A drawer full.
First lego:       1963
Favourite themes: Aircraft and trains (Lego and Duplo railways)

From: jfiles@hdsc16.ucsd.edu (J Files)
Date: 9 Jan 1995 17:52:02 GMT

Name:    	James S Files  ["Jim!"]
Age:     	22
M.S.:    	Alas, Single.
Kids:    	Do roommates count?
Employment: 	Student, Programmer, some-time LEGO arms dealer.
		See .sig for more complete information.
		LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FOR After Graduation!
Number of Sets:	More than you can possibly imagine.
		I dunno, I can imagine quite a bit.
		Ok, how's this, no space left.  Have about 40 sets
that I had to take apart due to lack of space.  Have 19 sets that I
haven't even put together yet, including El Dorado Fortress and Enchanted
Island.  Have LEGO assembled on every available flat surface in my
room, thinking about either expanding to the living room or to my
office.
Number of Pieces: No Clue.  Had a count once, but that was about 15
years ago, when it was still a reasonable thing to do.
Oldest Set:  	Red <Fire?> Helicopter, circa 1973, still have collapsed
box.	Fire truck from same time.  One other set as well, with a
blue trailer, but don't have the box or the instructions any more,
so NO idea what it was.
Favourite Theme: Castle [Black Knights, Dragon Master, CLASSIC]
		 Pirates [Pirates, BLUE Imperial Guard]
Favourite Set in Collection: Classic Yellow Castle
Favorite Item:	Green Dragon from Dragon Masters.  Viewed in
profile, and imagined to be all Red, this could be mistaken for a
Red Dragon Sagant, which is pretty cool, since that is part of
Beta's crest.  Now, if only LEGO would MAKE a red dragon.

James S. Files, UCSanDiego '95
M: Computer Science m: Anthropology
W: Programmer/Analyst I, Mathematics

From: gwl@ch.hp.com (Glenn Lea)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 18:17:53 GMT

Name:    	Glenn Lea
Age:     	43
M.S.:    	Married
Kids:    	boy 3, girl 6
Employment: 	software engineer
Education:      MS, Psychology, but that was 20 years ago
Number of Sets:	maybe 20, including the kids' sets
Number of Pieces: 3000+
Oldest Set:  	Blue pneumatic set (8042).
Favorite Theme: Town, technics
Favorite Set in Collection: the last one I bought (currently Hook and Ladder)

From: bfjev@dopey.cc.utexas.edu (John Eric Voltin)
Date: 9 Jan 1995 12:23:04 -0600

Name: John Eric Voltin
Age:  24
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  None
Employment: ME graduate student, future archaeologist?
Number of Sets in Collection:  ??, 50 (maybe?)
Number of Pieces: approximately 1.0 m^3 (count unknown)
Oldest Set:  Unknown, I have several from the late 70's including
               a neat fire station with three fire trucks
Favorite Themes:  LEGO (since they are all compatible), I do like the
                    trains very much, though
Favorite Set in Collection:  I like them all

                                          The University of Texas at Austin
bfjev@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu                  Mechanical Engineering Department
Home:  (512) 835-6693                     Work:  (512) 835-3081

From: mtidwell@netcom.com (montgomery f. tidwell)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 19:52:30 GMT

Name:  Montgomery F. Tidwell
Age:  33
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  none yet
Employment:  Programmer
Number of Sets in Collection:  Unknown
Number of Pieces:  Unknown
Oldest Set:  Basic set from late 60's
Favorite Themes:  Space
Favorite Set in Collection:  Space Shuttle from  1992

From: KopfDC%DFP%USAFA@dfmail.usafa.af.mil (Dana C. Kopf)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 21:02:17 GMT

Name: dana kopf
Age: 28
M.S.: married
Kids: 1 cat, note the large # of cat owners in this group!  my cat likes to
	bat the pieces around
Employment: usaf
Number of Sets in Collection: ~30
Number of Pieces: n, where n is large
Oldest Set: 1990
Favorite Themes: space, town
Favorite Set in Collection: ?
Favorite Thing I have built: a very realistic looking TIE fighter using
	the octan twin tank transport pieces, complete with TIE pilot, who
	is getting a new helmet as soon as i get one of those black
	auquanaut helmets.
Thing I want to build when I get enough pieces: you guessed it - a star
	destroyer!  this will take years and lots of $.  anyone care to
	donate lots of white pieces for this project?

From: cdouglas@ice.lakeheadu.ca
Date: 9 Jan 1995 19:35:56 GMT

Name: Clare Douglas
Age: 24
M.S.: single
Kids: none (except me)
Employment: Psychology student, and p/t swim instructor
Number of Sets: about 40
Number of Pieces: 5,000
Oldest Set: I just started collecting last year
Favourite Themes: Town
Favorite Set in Collection: Pirate ship
Best accomplishment is a 1 1/2 foot unicorn

From: talvey@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (Trever Alvey)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 22:07:47 GMT

Name:  Trevor Alvey
Age:  27
M.S.:  Singled
Kids:  2 cats
Employment:  Power systems engineer
Number of Sets in Collection: ~20
Number of Pieces:  Count all those little bits?? No Way!
Oldest Set:  1981? Technic Red Tractor with implements
Favorite Themes:  Technic, Space
Favorite Set in Collection:  Technic Air Claw Rig

From: "Edward C. Bennett" <edward@rahul.net>
Date: 9 Jan 1995 22:48:59 GMT

Name: Edward Bennett
Age: 33
M.S.: single
Kids: none
Employment: Software Engineer
Number of sets in collection: ~100
Number of pieces: several thousand
Oldest set: train set from early 70's
Favorite theme: Trains
Favorite set in collection: Space Shuttle
--
Edward C. Bennett          <edward@rahul.net>          415-967-6849

From: janet lasher <janet.lasher@leland.stanford.edu>
Date: 9 Jan 1995 23:58:10 GMT

Name:    Janet Lasher/Julian Kessler
Age:     30something/4.25
M.S.:    Married/girls are ucky
Kids:    1 child 4.25 (just ask him -- we are answering this together)
Employment: Systems analyst/software developer/pre-schooler
Number of Sets in Colection: I have no idea/lots and lots
Number of Pieces:  ditto/millions and millions
Oldest Set:   circa 1990 (my nephew has all my older ones ~1980+)
Favourite Theme:  Space / castles & town - mostly trains & dragons
Favourite Set in Collection: Train station (Julian out voted me)

This is Julian's first post.  I think he did quite well.  There seem to be
very few women on the net who are into legos..... interesting.

From: currentd@carleton.edu (Dan Current)
Date: 8 Jan 95 18:22:03 CST

Name:   Dan Current
Age   : 20
M.S.  : nope.
Kids  : Just Me, Myslef, and I.
Employment  : Lurker, or student, take your pick.
Number of  Sets in Collection  : Uh, 100+ probably.
Number of Pieces  : Between 10 and 10^7.
Oldest Set  : First town fire station with the people who had
              moving legs and arms...
Favorite Themes  : Town
Favorite Set in Collection  : My 'Born to Build' LEGO shirt.  ;)

currentd@carleton.edu

From: dougk@cray.com (Douglas Koepke  {x66558 CF/DEV})
Date: 9 Jan 95 11:51:37 CST

Name: 		Doug Koepke
Age: 		38
M.S.:		Married
Kids:		Aaron - 11, Nick - 7 ( dad builds, they play)
Employment:	Logic Engineer @ Cray Research
Number of sets:	Approx 10 major size sets & 25 small ones
Number of Pieces: Close to 10,000. (tried adding up all the numbers on the
		  boxes)
Oldest stuff:	An old set of red & white bricks my parents gave (back" to me.
Favorite Theme:	Technic
Fav. Set in collection:	Airtech Claw Rig

From: ez020913@monet.ucdavis.edu (Jayson Entao)
Date: 10 Jan 1995 01:36:06 GMT

Name:    Jayson Entao
Age:     23
M.S.:    Single
Kids:    0.0
Employment: Campus computer lab attendant
Number of Sets in Colection: 90+
Number of Pieces: Let me count them...1, 2, 3, 4,..(I'll get back to you), 5..
Oldest Set:  Galaxy Explorer, 1980.
Favourite Theme:  Space and Technic.
Favourite Set in Collection: Technic Super Car.  As soon as it gets thru
				customs.

From: bdurney@uvsc.edu (DR. BRIAN DURNEY)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 01:20:56 GMT

Name: Brian Durney
Age: 35
M.S.: double
Kids: Jessica (5), Alex (4), Jason (-4 months and counting)
Employment: Professor in Computer Science at Utah Valley State College
Number of sets in collection: ~10
Number of pieces: a couple thousand?
Oldest set: not very
Favorite theme: Castle
Favorite set in collection: Black Knight's Castle
Education: PhD in computer science at the University of Oregon, June 94
Location: Orem, Utah

Although castles are my favorite theme, I'm going through a space phase and am
designing a noncombative role-playing game for my kids.  The game is set in
the solar system and uses space Legos.  I'm interested in any and all games
that use Legos and have looked at (but not yet played) Legowars, Plastic
Ships and Wooden Men (or is that Plastic Ships and Plastic Men?), etc.

Brian Durney
bdurney@uvsc.edu
krisian@aol.com

From: dcook@maths.adelaide.edu.au (David Cook)
Date: 10 Jan 1995 09:21:22 +1030

Name:  David Cook
Age:   24
M.S.:  Single (recently, <sigh>)
Kids:  Distant future maybe
Employment:  Assistant Computer Manager in Maths dept., also studying Arts
Number of Sets in Collection:  57 sets of instructions, some others lost.
Number of Pieces:  about 11,500
Oldest Set:  394 and/or 396  ('76 or '77 ... not sure exactly)
Favourite Themes:  Space, Castle
Favourite Set in Collection:  Supercar (8880)
Been to Legoland: Yes ! In July last year. Great fun :)

PS: I have this crazy idea of sitting down one day and building _all_ of the
sets I have instructions for. If someone out there has 394 (a Harley Davidson
motorcycle) or 396 (a steam train) instructions, I'd like to hear from you :-)
--
David T Cook   e-mail: dcook@spam.adelaide.edu.au   Phone: +61 8 303 5709
Assistant Computer Manager, Stats, Pure and Applied Maths, Adelaide Uni.

From: mckinney@eleceng.ee.queensu.ca (Alexander (Sandy) McKinney)
Date: 9 Jan 1995 22:09:35 GMT

Name:  Alexander R. McKinney
Age:  26
M.S.:  Single - but have a girlfriend!
Kids:  nope
Employment:  Graduate Student - Master's in Electrical Engineering
Number of Sets in Collection:  ~100
Number of Pieces:  Good bloody question... ~13 000?
Oldest Set:  early 70's - the multicoloured gear set
Favorite Themes:  castle, technics
Favorite Set in Collection:  6672 - Safari truck (I *love* Africa!)

Alexander R. (Sandy) McKinney            Electrical Engineering Grad Student
mckinney@eleceng.ee.queensu.ca                             Queens University
                                                      Kingston, Ont., CANADA

From: psw@tauon.ph.unimelb.edu.au (Paul Weiser)
Date: 8 Jan 1995 22:22:08 GMT

Name:  Paul Stephan Weiser
Age:   28
M.S.:  single
Kids:  Just one 28 year old :-).
Employment:  Physics Ph.D. Student (Uni. of Melb., Australia)
Number of Sets in Collection:  something approaching 1000
Number of Pieces:  tens of thousands
Oldest Set:  ~1965 an old London Taxi and a Universial set.
Favorite Themes:  Space, Town, Pirate, castle and Technic
Favorite Sets:    The Space Monorails and all the extra track packs.
Been collecting since:  1979 (Mainly Space and Town, Others 2-3 years)

From: mmichel@us.oracle.com (Mark Lance Michel)
Date: 10 Jan 1995 14:15:44 GMT

Name: Lance Michel
Age: 34
M.S.: Divorced (Lego had nothing to do with it.)
Kids: None
Employment: Technical Consultant for Oracle Inc.
Number of Sets in Collection: 15+
Favorite Themes: Technic, Dacta
Favorite Set in Collection: Airtech Claw Rig.
--
Lance Michel					Office Address:
Sales Consultant                  		290 Woodcliff Drive

Last updated Thu Jan 6 02:26:36 EST 2000 .

This page by David A. Karr / karr@shore.net