The rec.toys.lego Roll Call

Part 2

This document is hosted by LUGNET.

The following is a small part of the responses to the rec.toys.lego Roll Call. Refer to the Table of Contents or the Alphabetical Index for other parts of the Roll Call.

From: tpepper@harp.aix.calpoly.edu (Timothy Charles Pepper (Wintermute))
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 1995 21:23:22 GMT

Name:   Tim Pepper
Age:    19
M.S.:   Single
Kids:   none
"Occupation": computer engineering student
# Sets: about 50(normally all mixed in a big box, but I put them all
        together over Christmas and took pictures..any suggestions where to
        post theseonce digitized?)
# Pieces: good question...any suggestions for a way to sort/count them?
First Sets: 5th birthday I got the Alpha-1 Rocket Base #483 (1979) and
        the expert builder helicopter #8840 (1981)
Oldest Sets: #483 above, old knights procession, and a little blue garage
        w/ tow truck
Favorite Set: hmmm tough choice..probably one I never got..like a yellow
        Technic plane in the late 80's
Favorite Theme: I mainly have older town, castle and space..none of the
        newer ones really.  I liked the forest men, and like the pirates,
        but castle and space are probably my fav.'s

From: guido@megamed.com
Date: 7 Jan 1995 22:26:26 GMT

Name: Tim Cava
Age:  12
M.S.: Single
Kids: None (I do have a cat though)
Employment: Student at Sunnyvale Middle School
Number of Sets in Collection: 40
Number of Pieces: Unknown
Oldest Set: Not sure, I do have some castle stuff from the mid 80's
Favorite Themes: Technic
Favorite Set in Collection: Super Car

From: blalock@aol.com (Blalock)
Date: 7 Jan 1995 17:30:55 -0500

Name:    Sherri Blalock
Age:     29 again (OK 31)
M.S.:    Married
Kids:    1 Cat
Employment: Electrical Engineer
Number of Sets in Colection: 150 +
Number of Pieces:  Have no idea
Oldest Set:   basic building set circa early '70s
Favourite Theme:  Technic
Favourite Set in Collection: Control Lab

From: coulter@fas.harvard.edu (Shelly Coulter)
Date: 8 Jan 1995 02:08:30 GMT

Name: Shelly Coulter
Age:  30ish
Long-time lurker, occasional poster:
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  None but a couple of god-children
Employment:  Researcher/Financial Analyst
Number of sets in collection:  embarassing low
Number of pieces:  No idea; embarassing low
Favorite Themes:  Space, pirates
Favorite Sets:  love those crocodiles

From: wijsman@max.u.washington.edu
Date: 7 Jan 95 18:44:50 PST

Name:  Ellen Wijsman
Age:   40
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  Loren age 9 (already accounted for elsewhere in survey)
Employment:  Research Associate Professor, Medical Genetics and
             Biostatistics, Univ. of Washington
Number of Sets in Collection:  Who knows?  The early collections didn't
                               come in "sets" - just boxes of blocks
Number of Pieces:  Unknown
Oldest Set:  1957 - basic blocks (yes, that is right - last survey I think
             I had the record for the oldest lego!  I got my first at age 3)
Favorite Themes:  Space lego, architecture (not that there is much),
                  castles
Favorite Set in Collection:  Hard to say.  I don't keep track of sets.

From: chiner@quark.gmi.edu (Chris Hiner)
Date: 8 Jan 1995 03:18:27 GMT

Name:  Chris Hiner
Age:  22
M.S.:  engaged, to be married in august
Kids:  Hopefully not (then I'd hafta share my Lego!)
Employment:  Programming Voice Response/Fax systems
Number of Sets in Collection:  I have no idea...
Number of Pieces:  Lesse... 2 milk crates, 2 xerox paper cases
Oldest Set:  Not sure of the year or #, but I seem to remember
   a double decker bus, with something like a "Read The Legoland Times"
   sticker on it.
Favorite Theme:  Technic
Favorite Set in Collection:  Auto Chassis... (and anything
  in the new pnumatics)

How do you get rid of cat fur in your Lego collection?

From: RIDLONCA98%CS13%usafa@cadetmail2.usafa.af.mil (Chris "Airwolf" Ridlon)
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 1995 03:41:08 GMT

Name:  Chris Ridlon
Age:   18
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  At this age? ;)
Employment:  Cadet at US Air Force Academy
Number of Sets in Collection:  300+
Number of Pieces:  Too many to count. . .
Oldest Set: 1977?  Police Command Van with the older mini-figs- they had
	   no arms and a leg that was all one piece, and no faces.
Favorite Themes:  Town (Flight) and Space
Favorite Set in Collection:  The Airport Monorail or maybe one of the
			     really old spaceships- the ones that were all
			     grey with lots of rocket engine pieces. ;)
			     Also, every hook-n-ladder Lego has put out.

From: maguirer@HERCULES.CS.UREGINA.CA (Rob Maguire)
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 1995 03:27:52 GMT

Name:  Bob Maguire
Age:  18
M.S.:  Divorced...just kidding!  Single
Kids:  Not that I know of...No
Employment:  University Student (UofR, Sask., Canada)
Number of Sets in Collection:  40-50 (haven't counted...rough guess)
Number of Pieces:  hmmm...good question
Oldest Set:  That really small cop car (smaller than the fig!)
Favorite Themes:  Castle!!! Space in my earlier days...
Favorite Set in Collection:  Fully Complete: 6086 Black Knight's Castle
			     Various pieces missing: 6980 Space Command Ship
			     Only a few pieces remaing: 6075 Yellow Castle
				(Destroyed it as a kid, who said innocence is
				bliss?!?)

From: George Lawrence <glawrence@symantec.com>
Date: 8 Jan 1995 05:52:45 GMT

Name:   George Lawrence
Age:    28
M.S.:   Married
Kids:   1 (Ashley, 1.5 years old)
Employ: Software Engineer (Norton Utilities)

Number of Sets/Pieces in Collection:
No possible clue, but my collection fills a 30 gallon trash can
and weighs about 50 pounds.

Oldest Set:
Some kind of wheels and gears set from the late 60's

Favorite Themes/Sets:
Lego monorails, Lego trains, Duplo trains

From: carol@alaska.net (Carol)
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 1995 00:11:54 -0800

Name: Andrew Carol
Age:  31
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  Virtual cat (That's a cat I don't own, yet)
Employment: Computer programmer/Analyst for DoD in Alaska
Number of Sets in Collection:  25+
Number of Pieces: 5,000+
Oldest Set: Parts of sets from early 70's (Mailed from home)
Favorite Themes:  Technic/Dacta Technic
Favorite Set in Collection:  Homebuilt robots running on Dacta
                              Lego Control Lab via my Macintosh.

carol@alaska.net    carol@ctis.af.mil    71350.3646@compuserve.com

From: wombat@noc.tor.hookup.net (Mark Hornblower)
Date: 8 Jan 1995 10:03:12 -0600

Name: Mark Hornblower
Age:  28
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  None
Employment: Student (again), production manager of weekly newspaper,
              freelance programming and graphics guy ...

Number of Sets in Collection:  ~50
Number of Pieces: depends on how many the cats have eaten today ...
Oldest Set: Basic Set #911 (1975) - geared towards making factories and
              construction sites and stuff - cool!
Favorite Themes:  Town, Technic
Favorite Set in Collection:  Air Tech Claw Rig

BTW, in case no one else thought of it, I'm saving all the replies so we
can have this valuable reference information for all time ...

From: hunter@indy.net (Chad L. Miller)
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 1995 19:06:27 GMT

Name:  Chad L. Miller
Age:  27
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  Joy 2.5, Haley 1
Employment:  Sr. Systems Analyst
Number of Sets in Collection:  >70
Number of Pieces: lots
Oldest Set:  All the older ones are kept as parts.
Favorite Themes:  Space, Space, and Space (maybe Aquazone)
Favorite Set in Collection:  Older Space Police light & sound ship
     (the name escapes me)
email: hunter@indy.net

(http://hunter.indy.net/ coming soon...)

From: jenoel@icaen.uiowa.edu (James Edward Noel)
Date: 8 Jan 1995 19:14:36 GMT

Name: Jim Noel
Age: 23
M.S.: Married
Kids: Zachary, age 3
Employment: Student
Number of sets in collection: 100+
Number of pieces: not enough
Oldest Set: The Moon Lander from mid 70's
Favorite Themes: Town, Castle, Pirate, Technic
Favorite set in collection: 6075 Yellow Castle

From: Steve Dettmann <Steve.Dettmann@mixcom.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 1995 20:47:45 GMT

Name:  Steve Dettmann
Age:  36
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  No
Employment:  CNC turret punch press operator
Number of Sets in Collection:  75+
Number of Pieces:  Unknown
Oldest Set: unknown off hand
Favorite Themes:  Technic and Space
Favorite Set in Collection:  Airtech Claw Rig

Steve.Dettmann@mixcom.com

[The following was added later. --DAK]
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 05:50:28 GMT

High School Graduate
Waukesha County Tech Inst. Graduate (welding)
No College sorry
I suppose from what I've read here I'm the only
blue collar person here. Oh well.

From: acsrds@myhost.subdomain.domain (Robert Schulz)
Date: 8 Jan 1995 23:12:05 GMT

Name:  Robert Schulz
Age:  27
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  1 cat
Employment:  Supervisor/Govt. Cable TV Channel
Number of Sets in Collection:  100+ I can find instructions too...
Number of Pieces:  +/- 6 cubic ft.
Oldest Sets:  early 70's
Favorite Themes:  Technic/Space/Town
Favorite Set in Collection:  455 Learjet (amazing what you can do with a
	bunch of plates...)
- - - -
Robert Schulz     KC6UDS
rdschulz@ucdavis.edu

From: 94226@figmnt.tayloru.edu (STEPHEN OLSON)
Date: 8 Jan 95 18:26:07 -0500

Name:  Stephen Olson
Age:  18
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  None, but I have 9 brothers and sisters...
Employment:  Freshman at Taylor University
Number of Sets:  50+
Number of Pieces:  5000+
Oldest Set:  A police van with motorcycle from early 80's; it was a
"paddywagon" or something like that...
Favorite Theme:  TOWN
Favorite Set:  #6389, Fire Control Center from 1991, I think that it was a
European set because I never saw it in the stores...(subject to change because
I've ordered the metrostation from S@H.)

From: John Reynolds <torgo@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 1995 16:09:55 -0800

Name: Christopher Ayers
Age: 23
M.S.: Unattatched
Kids: None yet
Employment: Junior, Psychology, Univ. of Washington
No. of Sets: 100+
No. of Pieces: I don't know (they're stored in at least five locations)
Oldest Set: Police Car, circa 1974
Favorite Themes: Technic, original Space, Aquazone, Trains
Favorite Sets: Whirlwind Rescue, Galaxy Explorer, Seaplane (circa 1980)

From: dot130@duke.usask.ca (Don Tse)
Date: 9 Jan 1995 00:47:43 GMT

Name:  Don Tse
Age:  23
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  none
Employment:  Student with 3 months, 6 days, 18 hours to go
Number of sets in collection: 70+
Number of pieces:  uh...
Oldest set:  #377 Shell Station (circa 1978)
Favorite themes:  Model Team, Dragon Masters, Black Knights
Favorite set in collection:  Whirl N' Wheel Super Truck, Mach II Red Bird Rig

From: gt5367a@prism.gatech.edu (Anthony Michael Zayas)
Date: 8 Jan 1995 21:25:19 -0500

Name:  Anthony Zayas
Age:  18
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  Not yet
Employment:  Student (Georgia Tech)
Number of Sets in Collection: 50+
Number of Pieces:  Many
Oldest Set:  early 80's (Starfleet Voyager space set (I think that's what
              it's called))
Favorite Theme(s):  Space
Favorite Set(s) in Collection:  Big Huge Ice Planet ship (forget the name)
 				The one mentioned above
				Alienator (Blacktron series 1)

From: math1ji@menudo.uh.edu (Julie Walker)
Date: 9 Jan 1995 00:39:43 -0600

Name:  Julie Walker
Age:  29
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  2 cats
Employment:  Ph.D. student in math and occasional teacher
Number of Sets in Collection:  200+
Number of Pieces:  Unknown
Oldest Set:  Basic set from 1979
Favorite Themes:  Technic & Model Team
Favorite Set in Collection:  Super Car

Last updated Thu Jan 6 02:26:36 EST 2000 .

This page by David A. Karr / karr@shore.net