The rec.toys.lego Roll Call

Part 1

This document is hosted by LUGNET.

The following is a small part of the responses to the rec.toys.lego Roll Call. Refer to the Table of Contents or the Alphabetical Index for other parts of the Roll Call.

From: oremb@skydivskylit.dseg.ti.com ()
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 15:05:46 GMT

Name:  Bonnie Orem  & Bobby Orem
Age:    32              3
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  See Name
Employment:  Software Design Engineer
Number of Sets in Collection:  8 (we just started 12/25/94)
Number of Pieces:  Unknown
Oldest Set: 1990 Black Monarch's Ghost (P.S.  TRU in Plano, TX still has most
of the ones on Jeff's list that are marked as not in the 1995 catalog)
Favorite Themes:  Castle
Favorite Set in Collection:  Wolf Pack Renegades (the hidden treasure cache is
way cool!)

From: 23253mgr@ibm.msu.edu  (Kevin Forsyth)
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 1995  11:58 EDT

Name:  Kevin S. Forsyth
Age:  25
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  0 humans, 3 cats
Employment:  Systems Analyst in College of Social Sci., Michigan State U.
Number of Sets in Collection:  ~60
Number of Pieces:  Unknown
Oldest Sets:  1973 (#420 Police Car, #570 Fire House, #710 Wrecker w/ Car,
                    #221 Idea Book)
Favorite Themes:  Pirates (except Islanders), Technic
Favorite Set in Collection:  not a set, it's a blue Futuron spaceman, standing
    on a crater plate, reaching out to touch a black 1x4x9 monolith.
    Also, #8868 (ATCR) in garbage truck form.

From: marpi0591@aol.com (MarPi0591)
Date: 6 Jan 1995 12:57:18 -0500

Name:  Mario Valdes-Lora
Age:  30
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  1 2/9
Employment:  Attorney
Number of sets in collection:  50~60
Number of pieces:  No idea
Oldest Set: 6010 (Supply Wagon) ca. 1984
Favorite Themes:  Castle, Pirates
Favorite Sets:  6085 (Black Monarch's Castle); Load'n Haul Railroad

From: gt5471a@prism.gatech.edu (Matthew David Cowley)
Date: 6 Jan 1995 15:51:12 -0500

Name:  Matthew D. Cowley
Age:  18
M.S.:  Single
Kids: What? I am a kid
Employment:  College Student, Georgia Tech
Number of Sets in Collection:  20+
Number of Pieces:  Never added 'em up
Oldest Set:  No idea! (I'm not the collector type, I just love to play)
Favorite Themes:  Space and Technic
Favorite Set in Collection:  All of 'em!!!!

Just wanted to tell everybody that even at age 18, the cashiers look at me
funny.  You're not alone...!

Internet: gt5471a@prism.gatech.edu

From: scotto@spasm.cica.indiana.edu (Scott Ostrander)
Date: 6 Jan 1995 16:16:10 -0500

Name:  Scott Ostrander
Age:  29
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  No thank you
Employment:  Systems Administration
Number of Sets in Collection:  Unknown, who keeps track of that anyway?
Number of Pieces:  Unknown
Oldest Set: 1993 - Gave older bricks to 2nd-cousin three years ago
Favorite Themes:  Castle
Favorite Set in Collection:  None

From: vrparent@mailbox.syr.edu (Victor)
Date: 6 Jan 1995 19:40:49 GMT

Name:            Victor Parente
Age:             24
Employment:      Computer Engineer, Grad. student in Education, Teacher
Number of sets:  about 50
Number of pieces:  ? (Almost 50 Lego people in space suits!)
Oldest Sets:     I think it is called the "Universal Building Set" - It was
              the first motorized set every sold in the US back in the
              mid-70's
Favorite Themes: Technic / Dacta Technic
Favorite Sets:   all of the helicopter sets.

From: ivanlan@bones.et.byu.edu (Ivan Van Laningham)
Date: 6 Jan 95 17:00:09

Name:  Ivan Van Laningham
Age:  48
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  3 cats
Employment:  GUI Programmer (X-Motif-Windows-OS/2...)
Number of Sets in Collection:  hundreds
Number of Pieces:  thousands
Oldest Set:  ~1963--one of the early samsonite kits, #760 (???)
Favorite Themes:  Trains, Town
Favorite Set in Collection:  4564, the brand-new yellow-engined train set.
Been collecting since:  1989 (and they didn't have lego when i was a kid)

I Live in Salt Lake City, not Provo....BYU is only where i have my
internet access.

From: dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 1995 01:34:02 GMT

Name:  Dik T. Winter
Age:  49 (nearly 50)
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  two, 14 and 11.
Employment:  Scientific research, programmer, system maintenance.
Number of Sets in Collection:  unknown
Number of Pieces:  unknown
Oldest Set:  about 1976; train sets, London double decker bus.  alas, my
	     brother has the 1960 VW dealer.
Favorite Themes:  town
Favorite Set in Collection:  not applicable
--
dik t. winter, cwi, kruislaan 413, 1098 sj  amsterdam, nederland, +31205924098
home: bovenover 215, 1025 jn  amsterdam, nederland; e-mail: dik@cwi.nl

From: Michon@ix.netcom.com (Ted Michon)
Date: 6 Jan 1995 22:01:27 GMT

Name:  Ted Michon
Age:   42
M.S.:  Married
Kids:
  Thomas  age 7 (US national LEGO champion; 1992 LEGO World Cup winner)
  David   age 4
  Both are full time LEGO builders
Employment:  President, Imagination Technology Corporation (electrical
engineer)
Number of Sets in Collection:  300+
Number of Pieces:  50,000+
Oldest Set:  One circa 1976 (pneumatic), all others since 1990
Favorite Themes:  Trains (according to Thomas and David)
Favorite Set in Collection:  Spyrius Monorail (according to Thomas)
Biggest project: 3500 brick house on display at national headquarters of
  Homedco (Fountain Valley, CA)
--
Ted Michon                           Imagination Technology Corporation
michon@ix.netcom.com		     Irvine, CA

From: Jami Stewart <ivars@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 18:41:11 -0800

Name:  Jami Stewart
Age:  26
M.S.:  Single, but a parent :)
Kid: Chris, 6.
Employment: Student @ U WA
Number of Sets: 20+
Number of Pieces: (Aargh, why did you ask?  Now I want to count them) ?
Oldest: ?
Favorite:  No specific set, but I like Castle, *Aquatron*.  My son
likes space space space.  We fight over the pieces, he even wants to use
Castle pieces for space (blasphamy).  (No flames, I can't spell blasphamy
right, the dictionary is holding up a bed).

From: scott.dawson@canrem.com (Scott Dawson)
Date: Fri,  6 Jan 95 21:01:00 -0500

Name: Scott Robert Dawson
AGE: 31
LOCATION: Greater Metropolitan Toronto
OCCUPATION AND HOBBIES: Programmer, ATE technologist, PC board repair,
animation (computer and classical), drawing, architecture and science
fiction (clearly a candidate for Legomania)
NUMBER OF SETS: Unknown. Bulk of Lego collection dates from before
1980, with recent additions after 1990
NUMBER OF PIECES: Unknown... (I suppose I could weigh them)
GENERAL OUTLOOK: I am not so much drawn by the desire to build the
pre-defined models, so my collection is not broken out into its original
sets. Rather, everything joins together for new and greater creations.

From: jharms@interserv.com
Date: 7 Jan 1995 02:53:24 GMT

Name:  John Harms
Age:  29
M.S.:  Single
Kids:  Nope
Employment:  DTP/PC whiz kid at US State Dept.
Number of Sets in Collection:  100+
Number of Pieces:  Unknown (fill 6 big Rubbermaid tubs)
Oldest Set:  Universal set from late 60s-early 70s: also have a pre-Duplo
  set of BIG (2"x5") 2x4 bricks===Mom throws nothing out
Favorite Themes:  Space, Model Team, & Technic
Favorite Set in Collection:  Any set with lots of wing sections
Claim to LEGO fame (according to my girlfriend): Had a piece stuck in
  my ear for three days.  A doctor had to get it out. I was 26 at the time.

From: brianste@gpu2.srv.ualberta.ca (Brian Sterenberg)
Date: 7 Jan 1995 02:45:27 GMT

Name: Brian Sterenberg
Age: 25
M.S.: Single
Kids: I hope not
Employment: Graduate Student
Number of Sets in Colection: about 20
Number of Pieces:  Good question
Oldest Set: A small very basic set of unknown vintage (1974?)
Favourite Theme:  Technic! Technic! (Model Team is nice too)
Favourite Set in Collection:  856 Technic Bulldozer (This is Canadian #,
American # is different)
What I desperately Want But Can't Afford (especially if I'm going to get
that 4 more MB ram):  AirTech Claw Rig!

From: tonyw@erinet.com (Tony Worthington)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 22:37:16 EST

Name:  Tony Worthington
Age:  19
M.S.:  Single
Kids: Not for a while.
Employment:  Network Admin.
Number of Sets in Collection:  42
Number of Pieces:  Haven't added it up yet...
Oldest Set: My loving mother sold my old LEGOS while I was on vacation.
            <argh>
Favorite Themes:  Trains/TownFavorite Set in Collection:  Any
trains...

From: unar2@sfa.ope.ed.gov (Andy Rosulek)
Date: 6 Jan 1995 21:53:40 -0600

Name:  Mike James Rosulek
Age:  13
M.S.:  Single, yet eligible!!
Kids:  1 pet cat.
Employment:  Full-time genius, Full-time babe-magnet!! (life is tough,
             ain't it?)
Number of Sets in Collection: 50 - 70 (at least 50, I counted!)
Number of Pieces: between 2,000 and 384,036
Oldest Set:  1982-3?? Probably a Basic set: just bricks, maybe Duplo
Favorite Themes:  Technic, Model Team, Space
Favorite Set in Collection:  Super Car (8880), SR-71, F-16, S.S. Rosulek
                             (last 3 are designed by me)

From: merritt@u.washington.edu (Ethan A Merritt)
Date: 7 Jan 1995 05:53:04 GMT

Name:		Ethan Merritt
Age:		42
Married?:	yep, and my wife's Lego collection is even older than mine
		(she'll check in separately)
Kids:		Loren (9) - was head-over-heels into Lego until Magic card
		mania hit this summer.
Employment:	Research Faculty (Biological Structure)
Number of Sets in Collection:
		who counts?  It's not a collection, it's a toy, er.. tool,
		er... inspiration
Number of Pieces: 	see above
Oldest Set:	circa 1962, dunno the set number
		- large town set with lots of matchbox-sized VW bugs,
		ESSO trucks, big emphasis on working garage doors.
		circa 1963, big gears (maybe set #002???).
		Mostly bought 'em by the bag in those days, not by the set.
Claim to Fame:	Recent public lecture entitled "Lego block toxins"
		(no, it wasn't about toxic Lego!  It was about how some
		bacterial toxins seem to mix-and-match pieces as if they
		were made up of molecular Lego blocks.)

From: etb@netcom.com (Elam Birnbaum)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 1995 06:14:01 GMT

Name: Elam Birnbaum
Age: 23
M.S.: Single
Kids: Not yet, but eventually.
Employment: Manufacturing Engineer
Number of Sets in Collection: Hundreds
Number of Pieces in Collection: Around 26,000 (I have the exact number
  somewhere... My Mom and I counted all my LEGO, even itemized each into
  type and color!)
Oldest Set: Don't remember, I was 2 at the time! Probably some basic
  set my Dad got me when we visited Holland.
Favorite Themes: Castle and Space
Favorite Set: There was a space set of a white and blue spaceship with
  many laser cannons in front and two detachable pods. Really cool!
Best LEGO project: I built a castle, the surrounding charred
  badlands, and an entire mountainous region (where the robin hood
  people lived) and a sea shore (where the pirates landed). Also built a
  detailed castle, complete with escape route for the king and queen,
  several secret treasure rooms with booby traps, two gladiator arenas,
  and a pair of portcullis' (sp?) and a thick sliding wall that all
  together, NO army could possible penetrate! Its all in pieces now,
  though. :'( My cousin the architect and I are planning an incredible
  project some time in the near future!

From: dsmall@media.mit.edu (David Small)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 1995 15:17:05 GMT

Name:  David Small
Age:   29
M.S.:  boyfriend
Kids:  I wish
Employment:  PhD student (MIT Media Lab)
Number of Sets in Collection:  100?
Number of Pieces:  unkown, but I've got a 4'x8' table completely
covered - town, two levels of trains and a two-foot mountain with waterfall,
plus Neptune Discovery Lab and some Aquanauts under the table
Oldest Set:  plain bricks from the 70's.  Never saved those boxes
	or instructions (stupid me)
Favorite Themes:  trains and town
Favorite Set in Collection:  Super Car

David Small		   		work:617/253-4406
MIT Media Lab				email:dsmall@media.mit.edu
Cambridge, Mass				"please to enjoy"

From: ben@ins.infonet.net (Ben Sinclair)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 1995 11:37:24 UNDEFINED

Name:  Ben Sinclair
Age:  16
M.S.:  I don't think so. :)
Kids:  Yeah, right
Employment:  Student
Number of Sets in Collection:  zillions
Number of Pieces:  zillions^2
Oldest Set:  Maybe that old Exxon gas station?
Favorite Themes: Town and Space..Aquazone! :)
Favorite Set in Collection:  Hmm...

From: jlanders@phakt.usc.edu (Jami Lynn Anderson)
Date: 7 Jan 1995 11:22:09 -0800

Name: Jami Anderson
Age:  27
M.S.:  Married
Kids:  4 cats
Employment: graduate student (for not much longer!), teaching instructor
Number of Sets in Collection:  dozens
Number of Pieces: probably more than I would like to admit to my husband
Oldest Set:  Camouflaged Outpost
Favorite Themes:  Castle (Forest People specifically), trains (Metroliner)
Favorite Set in Collection:  Guarded Inn

Last updated Thu Jan 6 02:26:35 EST 2000 .

This page by David A. Karr / karr@shore.net